Car Not Idoling And Stalling

Anthony13

Members dont see this ad

Don't listen to Reed :harhar:

Those clear plastic fuel filters are for low pressure fuel systems, you're using a VN fuel pump which I'm pretty sure is an in-tank, high pressure EFI pump. Basically your whole fuel system is high pressure so you need to use a proper EFI filter, make sure you put it in the right way.

You should really hook up a engine warning/diagnostics light and run the engine in diagnostics mode to check for error codes.

Also check that your circuit opening relay (for the fuel pump) is working correctly. The relay works off 2 signals to close the fuel pump circuit, one signal is from the starter motor circuit while the engine is cranking, and the other is when the 'FC' pin on the ECU earths out. The FC circuit could be causing your problem.

Well I was using a fuel filter from a tx5 telstar drive one as a daily and I had a spare one I never used so I put it in the corolla and I had drivin the car with it on there but I changed it anyway I pulled off the t/body and made sure it was real clean and sealed it back up and still nothing,

And I've made sure my timing is 100% right and everything is how it was the time I drove it but I've replaced almost every part of the ignition system since and sill nothing

The other week I could keep it running by hitting the throttle but not for long!

I don't no to much about the electrics of the car I had a mates dad help me with install the loom in the car and get it running he worked out the whole fuel pump relay thing for me so I'm not to sure now if it's right but the car was running fine!

You obviously have a fuel issue.

Start at the injectors and work your way back to the pump checking all the fuel system components. Make sure you have fuel pressure, that your injectors are pulsing, that your fuel pump hasn't fallen off it's bracket, that your fuel pump actually works etc.

Edit: just re-read your last post, do you mean carb cleaner or some other flammable aerosol/aerostart/start ya bastard? All the carb cleaners I've come across cause the engine to stall rather than actual combust and make the engine run.

Edited by rian

Oh okay it's carb/throttle body cleaner I think it seems to make it start when I spray it in the t/body but then stalls there after! I'm in the process of takeing the intake manifold off to check all the TVIS stuff and lines I took the injectors out and there was fuel in the rail so I no the pump is working

• Downvote 1

I suggest you have someone turn the key while you continuously spray Aerostart/Start Ya Bastard into the intake and see if it will idle, but don't rev it. If it idles then you have definitely a fuel problem.

Also having fuel in the rail doesn't mean your pump is working correctly. This is how the fuel pump wiring is meant to work:

When you turn the key the circuit opening relay is triggered by the starter motor circuit and closes the fuel pump circuit, then once you let go of the key, the starter motor circuit is no longer triggering the circuit opening relay, but by now the FC circuit should be closed and takes over the role of triggering the circuit opening relay to close the fuel pump circuit.

I suspect your FC circuit is not operating as it should, and you can check it by using a +12v source to trigger the circuit opening relay, or just wire the fuel pump straight to +12v temporarily.

• 1 month later...

Update!!

Okay so I put everything back together on my car and I installed an adjustable fuel pressure regulator with a gauge on it as I was told my issue of not idling could be a low fuel press issue!

Put everything back and the car would turn over fine! But just it was like I was getting no spark i then managed to get the car to start and idle and it hold it's idle fine however it sounds like a tractor! I've tried two different map sensors and no luck there!! I checked my timing marks I set #1 piston to TDC and everything seems to line up okay but if someone can confirm that I've got everything set correctly that would be great thanks! Or if anyone has any ideas as to what's wrong with it now that would be good also! post-18492-0-39709800-1384051618_thumb.jpgpost-18492-0-85233200-1384051650_thumb.jpg