Sticky Gear Changes.

no eye deer

Hey fellas,

I have an AE 93 I think it is. 94 with 1.6 carby and 5 speed.

When I change gears, the shifter sticks a bit, then releases. I'm not sure where to start. Maybe a bit of sticky oil on the plates, or something else?

Doesnt shake on reverse, and its done 317km.

Like -if you wanted to do a fast change- well- you have to wait until your allowed. Usually 1 second tops, but I can't race SS Commodores like that. (kidding).

Mark :)

Members dont see this ad

Any idea what grade of transmission fluid the gearbox currently has in it? I believe an 80w-90w is specified for these gearboxes, but changing to a 75w-90w may help things. The fluid level when full should be even with the bottom of the filler hole when on a level surface.

Another cheap/easy thing to check is between the top of the gearbox & the firewall, you'll see where the shifter cables attach to the gear selector arms. These have rubber bushes in their ends & they could be shagged, giving you a sketchy shift. An easy replacement for these rubber bushes are skateboard/roller blade bearings (yes, I'm serious) as they're cheap as chips, just check diameters etc to make sure you get the correct size.

post-5437-0-34029400-1356870923_thumb.jpg

Edited by carbonboy