New Road Rules In Sa

CD_rollaman

I was skimming over the paper this morning and much to my surprise I found an article detailing the new laws in relation to driving and what you could and couldn't do. It is getting ridiculous now;

1. Adjusting mirror, radio or airconditioner - warning

2. Dialing numbers on handsfree or mounted phones - illegal

3. Drinking, eating or putting on makeup - warning/illegal

4. SMSing or talking on a non-handsfree phone - illegal

5. Reading a street directory - illegal

6. Adjusting a bluetooth device or other handsfree device - illegal

Yesterday there was an article aboout a guy who was trying to do the right thing by wearing a wired hands-free device was charged $182 because he adjusted it for comfort. He then appealed in court, lost the case and now has to pay over $300. Totally pathetic!

I feel we are heading more and more toward a police state, anything that potentially make more money for government coffers is now Law.

Members dont see this ad

i say good idea in some areas.

however look at the top item

adjusting mirrors air con and radio. yeah its only a warning but still

let say its about 5 degress or something really cold so you need to have air con + heat to defogg the windows to see.

if you don't you will cause an accident

mirrors

some little shit on a bike pulls up along side you and knocks it.

you can see out of one of your mirrors. which means i you onely have 2 rear facing mirrors your car is now defectable because you can only use 1 mirror?

radio. good idea in principle

but once again extreme situation you come up to an accident with police all over the place and you don't know were you can and can't drive.

first thing you do is turn it down so you can hear anything the police are saying to you..

i don't understand adjusting handsfree because they get uncomfortable after a while so a breif adjustment is needed. but it takes as much concenrtration as adjusting your old boys.

eating and drinking yeah i can see that one.

i also heard on today tonight type show last nite i think they were thinking of making it illegal to smoke in your car while driving too

So, that means that you think focusing on something behind you, ie. looking in the mirror, is undue care...so anyone who looks in the mirror should get a ticket.

i am sure i said focused on adjusting - which takes longer than the cursory glance in the mirror - so NO i don't think lookin gin the mirror is an offence

well as you can see already some of us ae interpreting it to be you move something and don't focus on the road your done.

you interpretation is you swerve or drive dangerously whilst doing one of those things and your done.

i agree it all comes down to interpretation i just hope i never get a cop on a power trip

mate what about the cops are they going to get fined every time they answer a call for help on the radios while driving.I THINK NOT .THIS IS ANOTHER PLOY BY OUR GOVERMENT TO ROB US OF ARE VERY HARD EARN MONEY .SOON WE WILL BE WORKING FOR THE CHANCE TO GO TO WORK

:D

/Start Rant

I agree with hemi 6 on this one. What about the cops that misuse their lights to get thru a red light just to carry on without going anywhere they need to? What about the cops that speed "just because they can?"

I think that there should be a rule in place that the general public should be able to report police for doing wrong as well, but all I see is the police getting away with it.

Speed camera's in wheelie bins = entrapment

It's all about revenue raising and it sucks and unfortunately, the car enthusiasts are the one's that get hit pretty hard by these stupid laws.

/End Rant