Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

rollaclub.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Separate Exhaust Pipes For Each Cylinder

Featured Replies

I have often thought about having a completely separate exhaust pipe for each cylinder. Has any one done this? A quick google search returned nothing. Any comments, thoughts or ideas would be appreciated. Would it be legal to have them exit to the sides in front of the rear wheels?

 

PS, I'm thinking of doing this on my tow car (202 Kingswood ute) not the rolla.

PSS, I'm not looking for any performance gain

I've seen it done on a hotrod. The exhaust pipes were about 2 foot long and it was stupidly loud.

The reasons why I think it's not done very often:

- expensive: 6 pipes are more expensive then 2

- heavy: 6 small pipes are heavier than 2 big ones

- takes up too much space under the car

- probably lose power if anything

- its illegal: from what I've read the exhaust must pass the rear wheels

- loud: where are you going to put 6 mufflers?

Edited by rian

  • Author

You are right. The more I think about it the more stupid it seems. Particularly as the end of the exhaust must be angled downwards (not upwards at the same angle as the body for about a foot as I had visulized). But you are wrong on one count, the exhaust only bust exit behind the rearmost door and the rearmost join in the floor pan. Thanks for your input.

by 200mm

or is it 250mm?

either way, its behind by a reasonable amount...

not that it would be an issue on a ute, and I can't talk, my exhuast on my ute is 3" unmuffled exiting under the passenger seat as it comes over the gbox crossmember

 

and what dave said is true

Seems pretty common with hotrods, it looks wild too! But imagine how loud it would be.

 

113_0704_06_z%2Bram_rod%2Bexhaust_pipes.jpg

Its also common on a spitfire.

 

I can't remember where i read it, but apparently doing this gave the spitfire an increase in thrust.

 

A 27ltre engine moves a CRAPLOAD of air, and if you point it backwards then it will make you go faster!

 

Spitfire%20Exhaust.jpg

 

if you do this to your 202, I would almost guarantee it will sound aweful, look aweful and go considerably slower.

You've forgotten that it's also supercharged at up to 25 pounds :)

 

Another no for side pipes. There is a lot to gain from properly made manifolds. Single pipes like that are just a PITA

big thing with rock bouncers too, and they don't struggle to hit 1000hp plus...drag cars too..

horses for courses though...

 

Cheers, Andy

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.