3K To 2T-B (Ke35)

OdinNL

Hello

You guys might have seen me asking around for a K50 box to ship to the netherlands,

but ultimately I decided that it just wouldn't be worth the trouble, and I'd be better of

just going big, So I have decided it is time I perform my first engine swap (with help)

As far as the car goes, I've got a KE35 with just the stock 3K-H and K40 gearbox,

but because I just want to be able to get along with the traffic, and have a bit more

fun, and because I just want to take on such a project, I quickly landed at the

2T-B paired with a T50 gearbox, these are (unlike the K50) quite common here

because the celica did arrive in great numbers, 2T-G and 4AGE are out of the

question simply because they don't go for less than 1500 euro (metric ʞ©$ɟton

of AUD), but I could get a 2T-B and 5 speed, hydraulic clutch assembly, radiator

and engine crossmember for a mere 450 euro, that 'll do.

So now I'm just running through the list seeing if I've missed something, have I ?

plan is as follows, as soon as I've got my little 50cc running again I'll have some

transport and that 'll be the moment I start pulling the 3k and trans out of my car,

as far as I can tell from previous builds (If you have, please share I feel like I

can't get enough input on this) trouble is mainly reserved for the engine bay :

- Engine crossmember to be moved

- Trans crossmember to be adapted

but the driveshaft and diff will remain stock.

Only things to sort out : piece together a proper exhaust, make sure I don't

run into my brake cylinder with the carbs and try not to irreversibly destroy

anything.

If any of you guys have got a tip or anything, please do share

Greetings, Odin

Members dont see this ad

Left Hand Drive? Ideally source a pedal box from a TE3x, which will deal with the brake and clutch issue in one swoop. Whilst there, get the accelerator linkage across the firewall as well. Should have little difficulty sourcing one in the USA. Look on 3TCgarage.

If I was you I would source the correct engine crossmember too. You may find the gearbox crossmember is common, but not sure on that. The front brakes are probably a little bigger on the TE3x. Could probably swap in TA22 struts using the KE3x tops?

I had a TA22 with a stock bottom end 2TC with just a ported & shaved head, extractors and twin 40 dcoe's on it years back and it was quicker than my mates stock 2TG

Thanks for the reply.

Unfortunately I'm in mainland europe (holland) which never really got

any 1600cc action, all we got were the 3K/4K's, luckily the Celica's were

are common enough, so I should have little trouble finding what I can

from that.

I'll try to pry all the crossmembers from the donor TA, also I totally

forgot about upgrading the front suspension, I'll talk to some guys.

You were talking about a brake problem, what problems should I be

having ? cause I can't really thing of anything.

It's not so much a brake "problem" - just that the T series clutches are hydraulically actuated so the brake/clutch pedal assembly needs to be modified from cable pull to hydraulic push with master and slave cylinders etc.

Using a TE3x pedal assembly would get around the need to modify anything.

I'm patiently waiting (read, I'm saving for) for Jordanrolla to make T series onto K crossmember engine block mounts, which would help you also.

He also does exchange RHD pedal box assemblies, which doesn't help you much. But search out the KE Conversions thread (in the for sale section) to see what is required.

As MS says. If you source a LHD pedal box from USA, you get around the master cylinder location issues and your need for hydraulic clutch actuation. Don't assume that a TA22 pedal box will bolt into a KE30. Certainly it is quite different to a TE27 setup for example. Yes you can muck around and modify one, as .T. on this forum has done. Bear in mind he is rather good at this sort of thing. Check his thread for a perspective of what is required. http://www.rollaclub.com/board/topic/68457-my-ke25-4agte-irs-project/

In Australia we are in a similar predicament as you. K engined Corolla's and lots of TA22's. Unfortunately not a lot carries over from a TA22 to a KE30 to make a TE3x. Seriously consider getting the pedal box and engine crossmember from USA, you will save yourself considerable grief, and ensure everything fits where it should. A TE27 basically uses TA22 front brakes. I would look into this further as a possible way of uprating your brakes appropriately for your TE3x build in an effective, budget fashion. If you have easy access to a TA22 engine crossmember, you could do some comparative measurements first to explore that option.

Don't get disheartened - it's reported to be one of the easier conversions to pull off. We're coming from the perspective of wanting to do things perfectly.

Plenty of dudes just shove a 2T into a KE using TA22 mounts and drill an extra hole or two 30mm further forward (or is that back?) and make it fit. I'm not so keen for that in my car.

Check out this link to see the differences in KE and TE crossmembers.

http://www.reocities.com/Colosseum/4883/2tswap.html

You might just decide to grind off your old mounts and weld new ones that suit that geometry, rather than sourcing a crossmember. Start by mounting the gearbox in the unused rear holes on your chassis - checking the tailshaft still fits to the diff - and work forward.

Similarly, when you get TA22 and KE30 pedalboxes side-by-side you might find you only have to weld a couple of brackets onto the KE one and put the TA hydraulic bits on it. I haven't got that far yet!

I won't, Things are never as easy as they seem, so I'm trying to get a good picture, and its starting to form.

I've seen your link before, I've used it as a reference to get a feel for the difficulty, there is another link,

where the guy puts a 2T-G in his KE55, he's rather blunt about his methods, but it seems to work for him.

I'll get the parts soon and only when I open it up will I get a proper view of the tasks, but I'm in no hurry, so

it might take a while.

http://ke55.1colony.com/

Grts. Odin

I'll be looking at a TA22 2T-B and K50, so I'll be getting this underway sooner than I though possibly, first have to finish some school and vacation after that,

something I should look at with extra attention ? telltale things and such.

gr. Odin

• 2 weeks later...

S1XZK0E.jpg

the goods are in, but absolutely covered in some sort of weird grime that goes from oily to nearly stone in some places, got a lot of it with wire brush, I'll probably just put a power washer on the gearbox though.

last step for now is finding a suitable crossmember, trying to get one out of the USA now.

Edited by OdinNL

• 5 months later...