Handbrake Cable Position

Another dumb question I'm sure but I have to ask. Car is KE30. Is it a bad idea to move the mid mounting point of the handbrake cable. Reason is I want to put a surge tank and fuel pump under the car ( I really don't want it in the boot ). Looks like the cable wont be a problem with the leaf spring travel and chassis rail. Id use a 15mm standoff to keep the cable off the floor. I'm limited as to where to put the pump and this seems like the only solution. Photos better explain

stock

IMG_4642_zps4d123591.jpg

change to

IMG_4644_zpsaec04201.jpg

IMG_4640_zpsb62782b8.jpg

Untitled_zpse94b2a51.jpg

Edited by Killar_of_giants

Members dont see this ad

I don't know how the hub end of the cable works on those, mine is simply hooked to a lever that pulls outward from the rear side of the hub. The cable routes like your "change to" version, but to the rear instead of the front (top down view).

As long as it operates correctly and reliably...it just needs to be still (a sturdy mount) and pull a lever (in the right direction and without too much or too little slack) and not be too tight of a bend.. .play with it, park on a hill....just don't do anything you can't undo until you're sure it works.

In my opinion behind the diff beside the spare wheel well is a better spot, it may require more effort looking for a surge tank but the result would be worth it.

Yeah Ive done an autocad drawing similar to MartyK's surgetank. Just wanted to make sure everything will fit before I get it made up.

Thanks everyone for the replies, appreciated.