Raouls Ke70 Sedan Project

Raoul

Members dont see this ad

Sweet thanks. I gt a rubber hammer, but dry ice have to wait till pay day.

I'm keeping all the shit (sound deadening, goop, etc) that I scrape off in a bag & Ill weigh it so when I'm done I will have an idea of how much it weighs in comparison to other forms of deadening. Thought it would be a gd idea to help people decide if its worth the effort or not

Yeah? I'm hearing mixed opinions, some people say its worth it some don't. I heard somewhere that there is about 9kg (don't quote me) of the crap to come out, we shall find out soon.

I was looking into a spray on sound deadener as a replacement & some decent under carpet foam deadener.

I'm a bit of a perfectionist, (& don't know squat about painting cars) so I was thinking I would rather be painting the actual floor (even tho you can't see it) than that horrible goop on top? If that makes sense?

Maybe I re - assess the situation I think. Hot feet, noise, dry ice, fingers that look like theyve been where they shouldnt... hmmmm.

Maybe ill finish the front part Ive started, then leave the rest.

Wouldnt replacing it with more modern materials (ie foam sound deadening you can get with carpet) make the job worth it?

Oh yeah, I found that underneath it there are small access points to the chassis rails. Could be useful in hiding wiring etc.

foam sound deadening

mmmmm rust

:P

foam traps water brilliantly and holds it. making the floor rust out very quick, same as when u put it on ur firewall or inside the doors etc

there was a VW that came from factory with foam packing in it i think under the rear window or something. if you look at these EVERY SINGLE ONE is rusted out to buggery in just those places.

avoid foam and other shit that holds water !

:P

Three days, 2 fingernails & a pair of stained hands later I have all of the crap removed, using only a fan heater & a scraper.

10 KGS of the shit, all gone. Bagful of the horrid crap.

I left it on the firewall, as its thicker there, harder to get at & blocks alot of the heat/ noise.

Ive done some research on sound deadening products & it seems there is quite an aftermarket choice out there. Ill probably use a decent mat type deadener (ie Dynamat) inside on floors & roof lining, (maybe doors & boot) then layer on top of that s/d underlay & then plush new carpet.

Under the car Ill look into undersealing. :D

As was said with the vee dubs, XA-XB coupes all rust the f@$k out of there rear quarters, as the seals would leak, and water would go down into the quarter. Now some smart bugger decided that a great big lob of foam would be good to stop reverberation in the massive swooping panels, which worked quite well stopping noise, and also makes a great sponge. Moral of the story... f@$k it, I hear that you can get rubber shit these days, that would work quite well I would imagine.

Meh.... To each their own I guess.

I didnt do it necessarily just for the weight loss or what ever, I did it because I can, & like I said, every little detail is gong to be done on my car.

To me, removing this crap & replacing it with more efficient, modern (& yes, expensive) materials, is just another part of rebuilding my car. There will be more things I will do to it that may seem trivial or pedantic, but these are all taking me to the (perceived) end product of the tidiest KE70 around.

But Meh... i look at the bag of shit I pulled out, & the nice new stuff that I can get to replace it, & thats enough reason for me to pull it out.

Chur for the advice tho. Appreciated.

Sorry dude, I was just mucking around. It's your car, so you do what you want to it, I have done some things to my car that people don't agree with, and I don't care, it's mine and I do things how I please on it.

So if you like the finished product, then that is all that matters.

meh no worries, Ive been lurking for ages & seen constructive criticism used alot so i take it all as it comes, rather than picking at differing opinions.

Its all education at the end of the day. Chur

• 4 weeks later...