October 5, 201411 yr comment_689115 I have a ke36 wagon with a 3k and 4speed manual. When I start the car and drive initially the speedo is reading correctly. Once it gets warm the speedo decides to show double the speed I am really going. Not sure if it something internally wrong with the gauge? From what I can see the speedo is a mechanical cable type but the issue seems to be showing up as electrical issue due to its inconsistency. Any help would be great. Cheers. Luke. Report
October 5, 201411 yr comment_689118 Its all mechanical, sounds like you just need to find another working cluster and swap it over, or spend the $$ and get your unit rebuilt, cheers! Report
October 5, 201411 yr comment_689123 Pull the speedo & cable out and see if it is all lubricated. Hang the cable from the roof and put a few drops of gearbox oil in the top every time you walk past until it comes out the bottom. Check the speedo gears and put a drop of oil on the the 'bearings'; and grease on the gears. The cable drives a magnet, which turns another magnet on the needle against a spring. If you screw it up & break it you're no worse off... I can't imagine why it should read higher than the speed you're going unless one magnet is rubbing on the other. Report
October 6, 201411 yr Author comment_689147 Thanks for the help so far. Looking like it may be to do with the internal workings of the speedo. The cable is nice and lubed and spins freely. Most likely an issue with said magnets. Will update once I pull it apart. Cheers. Report
Please sign in to comment
You will be able to leave a comment after signing in
Sign In Now