Just Picked Up A 78 Rolla 2Dr, Suspension Question...

damjr77

Hi, just picked up a 78 rolla 2dr sedan deluxe. I have never owned one and was in the market for a cool older car like this to tinker and have fun with. The car is in good shape. The previous owner though did his own suspension job to include cutting the front springs to drop it and put blocks in the rear. I have heard this can be done and doesnt hurt anything. My question is what can i do to make the ride-ability better? It bounces a good bit and is pretty rough at times on bumps. Are there coilovers i can get and what and where from. Also what about the rear with the blocks, is this good or can something be done with the leafsprings?? I look forward to hearing what y'all have to say and what information and insight you have. Thank you.

post-21386-0-82046800-1413851992_thumb.jpg

post-21386-0-26479400-1413852002_thumb.jpg

post-21386-0-95490900-1413852014_thumb.jpg

post-21386-0-62799100-1413852023_thumb.jpg

post-21386-0-89504400-1413852032_thumb.jpg

Members dont see this ad

Hey there mate.

Welcome to the Rolla Life.

The fronts you have a couple of options,

Lowered springs and quality shorter shocks would make the ride and handling a lot better. (Cheap)

Or you could look in to building some coil overs to throw in. (Expensive)

For the leaf springs in the rear.

Remove the blocks and go have the springs reset by a reputable suspension shop and throw some good shorter shocks in there to.

These will make a massive difference to the ride of the car.

Thanks for the info. How expensive we talking about for coilovers? Where would i search for them? Going the cheaper route with springs and shorter shocks, will that ride just as good as coilovers? Where would i go for that route also?

I am asking a ton i realize and appreciate your help.

Cool car man! I assume you are in america?

Just the majority of us here are from the land of Australia, so we might not be able to help with actual places to buy stuff.

To get around the blocks in the back you want to look at getting your current leaf sprnigs reset, or just new leaf springs.

The xe30/55 leaves are relatively flat to start with so I personally don't think there is much to be gained by resetting. You could however get the eyes inverted, and then get you're blocks shaved down by say half to get your desired low. Alternatively just leave the blocks, maybe add an extra leaf and given your location maybe some Camaro rear socks which are apparently a shorter option for these corollas.

Again given your location it could be worth looking into t3 stuff for the front. However the t3 coil over kits don't have the best rep because of the sleeve design the have.....

https://technotoytuning.com/toyota/te37