Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

rollaclub.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Ost-029: California Here I Come......

Featured Replies

To the Rollaclub forum... I'm a cylinder head porter. I often post examples of my work in forums around the world... why I've missed this one for so long... I have no excuse....

 

:oops:

 

and now on to the topic at hand.....

 

 

ost-029_stamped.jpg

 

As I always do... my client is anonymous, unless he wants to share. This head is sold to a client in California. This is his daily driver, that gets a track beating/work out every few months or so. Retaining emissions compliance is paramount, but we can get a bit more without offending the sniffer.

 

 

This is a largeport head, it is the stock thickness, having never been re-surfaced.

 

deck_after_disassembly_before_cleaning_smaller.jpg

 

 

A key for me in figuring out overall "wear" is often judged on the condition of the old valve seals. The old seals that came from this head were still "pliable" (read as didn't crumble under finger pressure) - A few intake valves did show signs of build-up, the exhaust valves were all dry.

 

camside_with_valves_removed_before_cleaning_smaller.jpg

 

 

#4 exhaust port

 

exhaust_port_4_before_cleaning_smaller.jpg

 

 

Its pretty crowded in there, but a bit of seat to bowl blending, and a re-taper of the port will allow the exhaust gasses an easier path

 

 

Now that it is stripped, its off the the machine shop to get cleaned, and de-carboned. Maybe they can get rid of that horrid paint for me too

 

 

 

 

More to come...... :D

  • Replies 30
  • Views 318.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

oohh.... the ultimate black art!

 

We are dying to watch and learn! Have you ever done a 4K head?? Do we have to send you one....

  • Author

oohh.... the ultimate black art!

 

We are dying to watch and learn! Have you ever done a 4K head?? Do we have to send you one....

 

a long time ago.... friend had a 4KE, his "porter" went hog wild... and then found a cracked head :wasted:

 

He sourced another 4KE head and I ported it as best I could.... 2008 - so early in my porting career - minimal work just to get his replacement 4KE head to fit the intake ports on the ported 4KE intake manifold

 

untitled10-1.jpg

 

untitled2-1.jpg

 

Not only do I work the ports... but when bad casting flash restricts oil movement, I work those areas too

 

untitled28.jpg

 

 

MOST of my work has been on the 4AG head, although I have worked a few 6 cylinder heads, and I'm getting into SR20DE heads as well...

 

 

I also have a flowbench to quantify the work performed....

 

flowbench2012takingreadings_zpsa06e0441.jpg

 

 

 

As to sending me a 4K head.... I'd be happy for more work....... :wootjump:

Edited by oldeskewltoy

  • Author

Cool, home made bench? Details please? :)

 

The flowbench is a Flow Performance 2.0 kit. I would NOT recommend this kit because the usage instructions are poor, it took me over a year to figure out its correct use. I had a friend of a friend who is studying flow dynamics go though the entire manual and re-write it for me. As to the bench itself... I built it using a Baker's Rack type cart so I could make it mobile. The Shop Vac fits on the under tray

 

benchfrontviewwithlaptop.jpg

 

 

PS - attempting to fix some of the photos... hopefully back up soon

  • Author

The one head I sent out for cleaning, and pressure testing has pretty significant flaws....

 

 

 

showing_chamber_flaws.jpg

 

Chamber #3 is not quite the same depth as chamber 4... you can see this by comparing "a" and "b' in both heads. and you can see heavy machining. Chambers 2 and 3 are pretty bad, 1 is just a little bad, and 4 is "ok". All those chambers have significant flaws, and it just isn't economically feasible to fix the flaws.... so I'm after another head.....

 

 

 

more to come...... :)

We sent a crank/rods/pistons etc off to be balanced last year, new pistons and a replaced rod or two after SOMEONE destroyed their 18RG doing burnouts.. turned out there was 25g difference between the rods from two motors, even though they were both 18Rs, and it wasn't feasible/economic to equalise them. We ended up swapping all 4.

 

On the other hand, Ford found testing of random heads off the production line gave a few with better flow than the carefully ported ones from the racing workshop. Maybe its all an urban myth, but the big differences in what are meant to be identical items can have strange effects.

 

Have you ever tried the epoxy filling of ports to reshape them? I feel uneasy about having it come loose at some point later.

  • Author

We sent a crank/rods/pistons etc off to be balanced last year, new pistons and a replaced rod or two after SOMEONE destroyed their 18RG doing burnouts.. turned out there was 25g difference between the rods from two motors, even though they were both 18Rs, and it wasn't feasible/economic to equalise them. We ended up swapping all 4.

 

On the other hand, Ford found testing of random heads off the production line gave a few with better flow than the carefully ported ones from the racing workshop. Maybe its all an urban myth, but the big differences in what are meant to be identical items can have strange effects.

 

Have you ever tried the epoxy filling of ports to reshape them? I feel uneasy about having it come loose at some point later.

 

I have done a bit of filling... but in correcting an intake manifold, or using it to fill injector ports, nothing towards reshaping a port itself. Overall, I'm not a fan of goops, or puttys. It is pretty easy to improve most castings... even if it is just a little bit... the problem is the guy who thinks he knows... then things get out of hand.

 

Here are 2 pair of 7MG intake ports - one side to shape, the other side not yet having been touched.

intake_short_radius_annoted.jpg

edit - enlarge view, drew red translucent line just along edge of port floors to better distinguish port floor remains where it was before work began

 

You can see the transition from port to bowl, and then to the valve seat are smooth, all of the machining has been blended the short radius on the left isn't smooth, its transition is choppy and disturbed and so short radius flow is disturbed. On the right I've worked the short radius, and yet note how the port floor is in the same place in both, I managed to create a gentle curved shape without lowering the floor to do it

Edited by oldeskewltoy

  • 2 weeks later...
  • Author

Take 2........

 

 

ost-029_stamped-2.jpg

 

 

The old head on top, the replacement below.... chambers are far better shaped!

 

showing_chamber_flaws_old_head_to_new_head.jpg

 

 

More to come........ :D

  • Author

Easiest way to begin is showing you another 2 panel of chambers 3 and 4.... the top one you've seen before...

 

chamber_3_and_4_-_2_panel_chamber_4_shaped.jpg

 

... the bottom one is new - Cylinder 4(on left) is where we begin.... all four bowls and seats have been blended, as well as the chamber deshrouded and intake guides minimized, the seats in #4 just need their valve job.

 

 

How observant are you???? What else have I done that I didn't tell you?? :wtf:

 

 

The intake bowls, and seats - 4 is shaped(on left), 3 is untouched.. Bowls are now round, blended out to meet the seats, the shape is carried out to the port. The short radius transitions smoothly from port floor to the valve seats, and the guides have been minimized.

 

intake_bowls_and_seats__-_4_shaped_3_untouched.jpg

 

 

Chamber... Intake.... and now exhaust

 

 

A comparison between 4 (on left) and 3

 

exhaust_port_compare_4_to_3_straight.jpg

 

 

and a 2 panel showing progression of #4 from half shaped, to fully shaped

 

exh_port_4_half_shaped_to_full_shaped_2_panel.jpg

 

 

More to come.... :D

How often do you come across variations in the chamber depths? I can't say I noticed it on my spare head, but I didn't look closely either.

  • Author

How often do you come across variations in the chamber depths? I can't say I noticed it on my spare head, but I didn't look closely either.

 

The head this thread began with, that since has been replaced is the worst head I've seen. I've had to discard other heads because of flaws before*, but this is the worst head, at least in regards to correct chamber shape, that I've seen.

 

* - http://www.hachiroku...771&postcount=7

 

 

A short annotated photo showing the areas of work, and the similar area before work - no "hogging" here

 

intake_bowls_and_seats__-_4_shaped_3_untouched_annoted.jpg

 

As I did for the 7MG head above, I redid on this head, so the translucent redline shows us the port floor

 

1) The short radius - a gentle curve to the valves edge to promote cylinder filling

2 & 3 ) shaping the bowl to the seat, further promote cylinder filling

4) "Opening" the passage between the splitter and the guide, allowing the airflow easier passage past the guide - once again to aid in cylinder filling.

 

Nothing drastic, just taking a mass produced part and making it better :2thumbs:

 

 

 

 

More to come...... :D

Edited by oldeskewltoy

  • Author

From oldeskewltoy....

"from another forum

the intake valve on the right got slightly more space to breath...

 

The chambers edge around the right intake valve has changed a tiny bit' date=' so technically you are correct,[/quote']

 

Why did it change??

 

Chamber edge... this time cylinder 3. On top is the chamber edge before any work, you can see the old gasket, so that edge "sat" in the combustion chamber, the photo below shows after removing the half that is toward the exhaust valve (right)

 

chamber_edge_2_panel.jpg

 

Note how significant a flaw the edge of the chamber actually is.... when measured... it is .48mm "tall", and it is .73mm "deep", or sticking into the chamber is a sharp edge. So how significant is it...??? see the little green arrow, that arrow shows where I placed the dental pick....

 

pick_hanging_from_chamber_edge.jpg

 

 

Edges are NOT GOOD, they promote detonation, and this one stick "in" like a sore thumb :(

 

 

So... that is why the edge of chamber four around the right hand valve now has a bit more room to breath.... and it is likely that all the chambers will show this change as well

 

 

More to come...... :D

  • Author

edge_of_chamber_progression.gif

 

 

Since the last post was a brief discussion about that edge... I thought a short gif of the progression of the chamber walls....

 

 

although "polished" in the last scene, it wont be finished till after I have chamber volumes, and adjust accordingly

 

 

 

And now for exhaust port #3

 

exhaut_port_3.gif

 

 

 

 

More to come...... :D

  • Author

normal_exhaust_port_2_mid_work.jpg

 

 

exhaust port #2 mid work

 

 

 

Chambers 4, 3, and now 2 deshrouded

 

chamber_view_3_down_1_to_go.jpg

 

 

 

Intake short radii on 4, 3, and now 2....

 

chamber_view_of_intake_bowls_3_down_1_to_go.jpg

 

 

More to come...... :D

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.