4Age Oil Leak Advice

DrBoomtown

alright so iv got a smallport 4age and it looks like its leaking a small amount of oil from the sump seal. maybe a drip or two every 12 hours if iv been driving. but its been going on long enough that the dipstick is showing very close to L while the cars still hot.

My question is, Should i get the sump resealed and do an oil change then, or ignore the sump do and oil change and ignore the small leak?

Members dont see this ad

Give the whole engine a good clean (top up the oil also), take it for a drive & then check for leaks. That way you should be able to tell if it is the sump or if it's dripping down from somewhere else.

I'd fix the leak first, otherwise you're just wasting the oil you change over. Sure, it's not major, but a leak's a leak.

Edited by carbonboy

alright, iv had a good and proper look and it if it isnt the sump seal i have no idea where its coming from. there is no oil even a couple of cm up from the sump seal other than whats been flicked up from driving around, the seal its self looks haggard its all squished out the sides and breaking off. plus last time i had it at a mechanic he recommended i reseal the sump.

is this something i could realistically do in my garage, considering i have extremely limited mechanical abilities. or am i better off not taking the chance of ʞ©$ɟing it up myself and just take it to a mechanic?

Give it a good clean with degreaser. Fill it up with oil so you don't do proper damage to your engine, just buy cheap stuff in case you need to waste it. A spun bearing is alot harder to fix than a dripping oil leak. Then give it a few days and see if you can see the leak. Maybe even take a few pics for us if you like.

Going purely off your description I reckon its either the sump gasket or the front main seal. As there isnt much else to leak oil. If you are willing to learn no job on a 4age is too hard. Most jobs on a 4age can be done with basic tools and a torque wrench. If you don't have a torque wrench they are a good investment.

Edited by ke70dave