James' Ke15 Sprinter

James AE71

Hey all,

I thought that its about time I re-introduce myself and my new acquisition,

I picked this KE15 up a couple of weeks ago off another forum member, so far I have only tidied it up a bit and got registered.

I have just grabbed the pictures I have already shared on Facebook...

This was the day I picked it up:

WyWUFS.jpg

LHNyns.jpg

MBEvYz.jpg

W7TU8n.jpg

Then once I got it home giving it a tidy up: some of the pictures are a bit out of order but you get the idea

rJ5ehR.jpg

7rwrKl.jpg

QVN4I3.jpg]

ZXylus.jpg

9TRyvz.jpg

lgRQE0.jpg

LztyAx.jpg

VZHMs9.jpg

gnsawY.jpg

fMKyxk.jpg

eieNx6.jpg

EUGiQC.jpg

hXWiGz.jpg

SL14Rt.jpg

N1ZxZZ.jpg

KCes8q.jpg

And then yesterday as soon as I got it registered:

wHQHOg.jpg

So plans for it:

very short term:

drive it everyday that I can,

work out what needs attention straight away and what can wait

-has a slight oil leak from the rear gearbox seal, will need to be replaced

short term:

suspension upgrades - looking for ideas, want to keep it mild but needs to be safer and better performance handling

new dampers, new bushes everywhere, maybe ke20 strut tops and better springs, rear leaves overhauled and stiffened slightly

steering component overhaul, has a lot of play on steering wheel, tried tightening the steering box adjustment, but it only helped slightly

thinking it needs new bushes, ball joints etc, whatever is between the steering wheel and the front wheels that can wear will need to be replaced

brake system overhaul

will be getting new flexible hoses soon

long term:

needs body work, will be getting body repairs and a respray at some point

rebuilt 4k or 5k whichever i can pick up and possibly 5 speed but I haven't made my mind up on that one yet

let me know what you think, and throw some ideas at me for suspension/brakes engine/gearbox

Thanks,

James

Members dont see this ad

This guy is very good

http://www.ebay.com....lla ke&_sacat=0

I recently picked up a pair of inner and outer tie rods from him, and have bought from him often in the past.

Feel free to make him offers. He accepted my offer of $USD25 pair on the outers and $USD30 pair on the inners. With post it was $93USD which is cheap.

He also has balljoints at the moment. But you need to check whether you have fine or coarse thread tierods.

Edited by parrot

The tierods are 555 brand just in US distributor boxes. He usually adds stuff. This time I got a few packs of old glass fuses, a set of points and condensor which I don't need, and a distributor cap of some other Toyota! Oh, and the religious booklets.

But yes, a really good guy.

OK so I'm going to be ordering:

SPF0049K rear spring bushing kit

SPF0686K idler arm bushing kit

Also once i can figure out which tie rod ends i need (course or fine) i believe i need the course but not sure how to confirm. And then which is which from that US ebay seller.

What else should I be looking at replacing at the same time?

Quick question as well, i think i may need to replace wheel bearings, the front drivers side wheel has a bit of play, anyone know part numbers for ke15 wheel bearings?

I can help you out with part numbers no problem

outer

coarse 45047-19015 aftermarket TE426

fine 45047-19016 aftermarket TE534

inner

coarse 45046-19035 aftermarket TE425

fine 45046-19036 aftermarket TE535

Here is a photo of an outer tie rod fine vs coarse. if your really keen you can count the threads, but should be able to tell by sight. It was coarse thread up to Feb 1969, but hard to know what you have on basis of date.

post-4909-0-51288300-1435473432_thumb.jpg

Wheel bearings

Inner 90368-26027

outer 90368-17017

seal 90311-40108

Recently there was a guy in Japan selling the control arm bushes, but they aren't listed currently. Never seen them for sale other than in Japan except for a set brought in from Japan by a member here. If they come up again I'll send on the link.

Wow, thanks again Pete!

From that comparison it looks like i have the course thread tie rod ends, I'll upload the pictures i have of mine, when I'm on the pc tomorrow.

I'll keep an eye out for the control arm bushings as well

and again thank you for the bearing part numbers I'll get onto them asap as well

For now I have ordered new braided flexible brake hoses and superpro bushes for the idler arm and rear leaf springs,

Will hopefully improve things

Thanks,

James

Ok a few pictures from my phone:

smallest disk brakes I've ever seen.....

6Gh8Yz.jpg

Inner tie rod end:

hgXwFD.jpg

Outer tie rod end:

kFOfUI.jpg

So to my eye, comparing to your photo Pete, the ends on my car are course thread.

Also starting to research suspension and braking upgrades, not sure if it would be better to change to a bigger strut to accommodate bigger brakes and better dampers or whether adapting the ke15 struts would be easier/better. It appears that ke55/ke70 brakes bolt on with some simple modification but the stub axle flange is too small to accommodate the bigger brakes.. more thinking and research to do before searching for parts