Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

rollaclub.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Featured Replies

Hi guys,

 

My AE92 1994 Corolla hatch broke down yesterday. It overheated so I pulled over and put on my hazards. I had a look under the bonnet (hood for US folk) and there was white smoke hissing from around where the dipstick for the oil is. There was also no pressure at all in the radiator so it looks like a coolant leak to me. There was enough oil, I did check that. Once it cooled down I tried driving further towards home but it just overheated after about 300m and I had to get it towed. I'm 18 and I've had my license about 2 weeks. Dad reckons it's the Welch plugs, but I have no idea, honestly.

If anyone could shed some light on what I'm dealing with and/or how much it would cost to get it fixed, that'd be great.

 

Thanks ~Brendan :)

Hello brendan.

 

Your best bet is to figure out why it overheated. First thing first, fill it up with coolant, bleed all the air out let it idle and observe. Look for leaks and keep an eye on what the temp gauge is doing.

  • Author

Hello brendan.

 

Your best bet is to figure out why it overheated. First thing first, fill it up with coolant, bleed all the air out let it idle and observe. Look for leaks and keep an eye on what the temp gauge is doing.

 

So when it did overheat, I forgot to mention, it was dripping coolant on the road down at the right axle. There was quite a bit too but it was next to a freeway so I couldn't get a good look. The temp gauge, whilst I was driving it, went up quickly and back down to operating temperature slowly (usually when I was in 4th or 5th gear). I made sure to drive it slowly, acceleration wise, but whenever I was in the lower gears it would shoot right up. It did that for about 20 minutes and then the gauge just wouldn't go back down again so that's when I had to pull over.

  • Author

ah yep, classic coolant leak. sounds like you did the right thing.

 

Fill it up up, idle it and find the leak.

Thanks. Will do

4AFE? Coolant leak around the dipstick area would lead me to believe it's either the water pump or the short stumpy hose that runs from the pump to the head - this is a common failure point on these engines. Stick a torch down behind the block and see if that hose is bulging or the hose clamps are missing

 

rear-of-engine-resized-hose.jpg

Edited by Hiro Protagonist

  • Author

4AFE? Coolant leak around the dipstick area would lead me to believe it's either the water pump or the short stumpy hose that runs from the pump to the head - this is a common failure point on these engines. Stick a torch down behind the block and see if that hose is bulging or the hose clamps are missing

 

rear-of-engine-resized-hose.jpg

Yeah I took it to the mechanics. Thanks though! They told me it was a dead water pump so I'm getting that replaced and getting new coolant which is nice. $276 in total (AUD)

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.