December 17, 20178 yr comment_712713 1 hour ago, 1995Craig said: Sounds good Hiro, bugger about having to do both those jobs so close together. I was thinking that might be the case so I'll go ahead with the whole job. At least the mystery is solved and it could have been worse. Thanks again for the help. And then last Monday was wheel bearings :P (although at least I didn't do that myself) Report
December 17, 20178 yr Author comment_712731 Bugger, sounds like both of our Rolla's are wearing some bits out. Could be worse but I had an Alfa once now that was expensive to run. Report
December 18, 20178 yr comment_712734 2 hours ago, 1995Craig said: Bugger, sounds like both of our Rolla's are wearing some bits out. Could be worse but I had an Alfa once now that was expensive to run. Wasn't so much stuff wearing out as it was me trying to chase a niggling issue that turned out in the end to be wheel bearings. CVs and gearbox oil were fine and didn't really need to be changed, but I wanted to cross them off the list as they were things I could do myself at home rather than paying someone else labour. As a comparison, my previous shell did 405,000k on original brake rotors, gearbox, clutch, CVs, wheel bearings, engine, the whole shebang. Treat them right with the usual preventative maintenance and these things will run to the moon and back. Report
December 18, 20178 yr Author comment_712749 Yep I'm getting that feeling about this one, everything I've done has been reasonable and I didn't get much history on it. I've had various models before and always been good experiences. Best was the '91 AWD wagon, a Corolla with the stepped roof not a Tercel. Or maybe the '82 sedan with Webber and suspension work. Report
December 18, 20178 yr comment_712751 10 hours ago, 1995Craig said: Yep I'm getting that feeling about this one, everything I've done has been reasonable and I didn't get much history on it. I've had various models before and always been good experiences. Best was the '91 AWD wagon, a Corolla with the stepped roof not a Tercel. Or maybe the '82 sedan with Webber and suspension work. One of the reasons my old one lasted so long is that I had a complete history on it, my old man owned it from new back in '97. Report
December 20, 20178 yr Author comment_712767 Man that's full history. just got the axle seal replaced see how she goes now. Merry Christmas Hiro Report
December 20, 20178 yr comment_712772 14 hours ago, 1995Craig said: Man that's full history. just got the axle seal replaced see how she goes now. Merry Christmas Hiro How much did they charge to do the seal? I probably should have done mine when I did the CVs (just because I had free access) but didn't have the time to order in new seals, it's a relatively simple job. Report
December 21, 20178 yr Author comment_712775 $90.00, $30 for the seal and $60 for half hour labour so not so bad. Report
Please sign in to comment
You will be able to leave a comment after signing in
Sign In Now