swap 4AFC engine only (from auto car) into 4AFC manual?

stuart radge

Hi dudes

I need some advice and can't find an answer.

I have a 1989 Toyota Corolla Seca CSX with a 4AFC engine and it's a 5 speed manual.  The pistons on this engine (460,000 kms) and the head is cactus so I need to replace the engine.

Rather than a full engine rebuild I figure it will be cheaper to buy a complete car (possibly an Auto) (so i have lots of spares) and replace the engine with the 2nd hand one with lower kms (~180,000 km) from the complete Auto car -  Note...if I swap over the engine I'll also replace the timing belt and waterpump.

Q. Can I swap in a 4AFC engine from a 1992 Corolla Seca CS Auto (3 speed auto) by removing the auto and bolting on my current my 5 speed gearbox back into my 1989 Corolla (as I want to keep the manual car)?

If so, is there anything i need to be aware of?  e.g. do i need to swap the carburettors also or flywheel?

I've previously swapped another 4AFC engine/manual but am unsure if I can do the same with a 4AFC engine from an auto car as I've never worked on an 4AFC auto before.  

Thanks in advance 

Edited by stuart radge

Members dont see this ad

I haven't done the swap you suggest.  General comment follows!   I can't see any reason at all why you couldn't put the later motor in, but experience with other Toyota swaps says there will be undoubted differences.  Expect that you may need to mix and match some things.  The same would be true even if you were going auto to auto.  It will just be a matter of putting it in and working out what needs to swap.  Is the later engine fuel injected?  There could be problematic differences if the new motor is EFI and the earlier one carb, and you intend putting a carb on it.  Don't try to convert to EFI unless you have a complete EFI donor, you will need to swap all manner of other stuff.

You would of course need to replace the flex plate with the flywheel (possibly the rear engine plate), and install a spigot bearing in the new engine (easy).

The one biggy would be if the later engine has an increase in the number of bolts into the rear of the crank., Then you would need to source a later flywheel.  Can't answer that one

1 hour ago, parrot said:

I haven't done the swap you suggest.  General comment follows!   I can't see any reason at all why you couldn't put the later motor in, but experience with other Toyota swaps says there will be undoubted differences.  Expect that you may need to mix and match some things.  The same would be true even if you were going auto to auto.  It will just be a matter of putting it in and working out what needs to swap.  Is the later engine fuel injected?  There could be problematic differences if the new motor is EFI and the earlier one carb, and you intend putting a carb on it.  Don't try to convert to EFI unless you have a complete EFI donor, you will need to swap all manner of other stuff.

You would of course need to replace the flex plate with the flywheel (possibly the rear engine plate), and install a spigot bearing in the new engine (easy).

The one biggy would be if the later engine has an increase in the number of bolts into the rear of the crank., Then you would need to source a later flywheel.  Can't answer that one

They're both 4AFCs so no worry about EFI :P.  Don't think there were any revisions done to the FC over the life of the AE92 so should be no need to mix-n-match anything apart from the flywheel as stated.  And all xAFx engines have a 6-bolt crank so no issue there (4AGEs have 8-bolt)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, parrot said:

Surely they were at least single point efi by 1992.  We are not talking about Holden or ford here :)

edit: now that’s a big emoticon!

There were still carby Corolla models thru till ~October 1992 or so, EFI started to be introduced back in 1991 (apart from 4AGEs which obviously were EFI from back in '86).  Skipped straight from carby to MPFI though.