Differential Swap

I'm looking to put a new diff in my 79 KE30. I'm thinking about an 81 diff, (someone's got one and it's cheap). Would it even fit lengthwise, I know I'd need to weld on the leaf spring mounts and maybe modify my driveshaft, but otherwise would it fit in my car? I can do the mounts and such, I just want to make sure I won't have to do any major shortening of the axle. Any insight is greatly appreciated!

-Goose

Members dont see this ad

Measure width of yours drum to drum and ask them to do the same? Easiest way to tell. The amount of diffs I’ve gone to look at that weren’t what they were advertised as also.. probably better to just get them to measure.

There’s other considerations also though.. Handbrake cables, brake lines, brake Size ie will it be unbalanced on standard master and gear ratio etc

If it’s just because yours isn’t in the best shape I’d just search for one same as yours or look into rebuilding it. Corolla centres can be swapped over between models for the most part but without knowing what diff you have now and what the “81” diff is it’s hard to comment