K50 5speed G/box Swap!!

rsdn

Hi there...

As the title goes....I m planning to swap my rolla KE30 4 speed g/box(K40) to 5speed...

My current engine is 4K.

my q is:

1. Can my old 4 speed clutch be reused 4 the 5speed gbox as its still new?

2. Can my old long shaft fit the new g/box?

3. Can other old parts like clutch cable, speedo cable, starter motor fit?

4. What the other things that has to be checked and replaced i.e bushes, seals, bearings?

Pls advice me on this...

Thx!!

Members dont see this ad

1. Yes

2. Yes

3. Yes, Yes, Yes

4. Whatever you see fit to be checked. Tear it down if you want, but maybe just change the end seals?? Up to you and the condition of the replacement box.

I did a KE70 5spd into an earlier KE20. Only thing that had to be changed was the little metal spacer thingamy between the engine and gearbox (a couple of bolts are slightly different) and change the flywheel and clutch to the KE70 type.

But if youre going to use a KE30 5spd then it should be a straight swap. Replace bushes etc if you think they should be done.

More details on gearboxes in our wiki http://www.rollaclub.com/faq/index.php?title=Manual_Gearbox

good luck with the swap!! everyone wants a 5 speed, and I highly doubt someone will want to go backwards to a 4 speed.

I found a bit of info while trying to find a clutch last week.

clutches are available for corollas in 19 ans 21 spline for the input shafts. the earlier ke3x - ke5x boxs are the 19 splines and I assuming the 21 splines are the "ke70 type" mentioned above.

the ke70 5 speed boxs also have the shifter a bit further back so you would have to do a bit of trans tunnel "modification" :)

clutches are available for corollas in 19 ans 21 spline for the input shafts. the earlier ke3x - ke5x boxs are the 19 splines and I assuming the 21 splines are the "ke70 type" mentioned above.

The KE70 had both types AFAIK. I had a KE70 5spd box in my KE20 and put the standard KE20 4spd back in with the same KE70 clutch kit. I could be wrong (it was a few years ago now).