Missing At Idle And Occasionally Under Load

Hey all, my car has had a bit of a miss at idle for a while but I didn't think much of it and figured I'd sort it out when it got worse. Well, it got worse and now it sometimes dies at idle, so the choke has been used to keep her happy. Misses severly at idle and sometimes when accelerating it'll miss causing some harsh surges. When highbeams are put on the idle speed drops and the misses are more frequent.

I jumped it to my olds landcruiser to see if it was a weak battery and it wasn't, could be connections though possibly I guess. Leads & Plugs are fine, so I figure it must be the contact breaker points or coil?

Is my reasoning right? Or any other possibilities?

Any tips on how to determine what it is? If its the points, how hard are they to change, is it doable without taking the dizzy off the engine?

Btw its a KE70 with stock 4k.

Thanks

Members dont see this ad
Any tips on how to determine what it is? If its the points, how hard are they to change, is it doable without taking the dizzy off the engine?

Btw its a KE70 with stock 4k.

Thanks

don't remove the dizzy. just take the cap off

you really need to hook your car up to a tune-up machine. i suggest you go see a mechanic

hsugh1kh.gif

And the timing should be sweet cause I did it about 3 weeks ago and can't see why it should have changed.

did you tighten the dizzy up. check it again just to make sure.

QUOTE:Well, it got worse and now it sometimes dies at idle, so the choke has been used to keep her happy.

check fuel mixture and check for air leaks.

hmm... if thats the case...

What exactally do you mean by a 'tune-up machine' :dance:

A diagnostic machine of a sort and tells you your state of tune?

hard to explain.

if you get it done the mechanic will show you.

• 3 weeks later...
turns out it was in fact points, cleaned up the current pitted ones and runs a treat now. Will put new'uns in tomorrow.

$120 for a timing light tho!? wtf! It did have a dwellmeter and tacho as well, but stilll!

sorry read that a bit too late, what is the "points" as such and how do u clean them without breaking anything?

Cheers

Ed