New battery, no power

RSMalone

Trying to help a friend with his 74 Corolla. I don’t know anything about Toyota and he has no documentation for the car so I need some help. I installed a new battery, but the car still has no electrical power. I believe they must have blown a main fuse while trying to jump the car, charge the battery, etc. my question is, does anyone have a fuse diagram to show what fuses are what and locations? All the writing on his is worn to where I can’t read it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Members dont see this ad

Hi Russell,   Your best friend in this situation, is a trouble shooting light, which are cheap, & can be found at any auto supply place, or even reject & cheap shops.

image.thumb.png.15b59efcfa0601c730c3a43aaec471ab.png

You simply, hook the earth clip to the chassis somewhere, & then probe at various points from the battery +ve terminal, until it all of a sudden, the voltage isn't there.

There is a "master fuse link", that doesn't even look like a fuse, but is usually mounted close to the battery itself.

That will show up the open circuit, very quickly.

Let us know how you go, & what you find.

Cheers Banjo

Edited by Banjo
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Banjo said:

Hi Russell,   Your best friend in this situation, is a trouble shooting light, which are cheap, & can be found at any auto supply place, or even reject & cheap shops.

image.thumb.png.15b59efcfa0601c730c3a43aaec471ab.png

You simply, hook the earth clip to the chassis somewhere, & then probe at various points from the battery +ve terminal, until it all of a sudden, the voltage isn't there.

There is a "master fuse link", that doesn't even look like a fuse, but is usually mounted close to the battery itself.

That will show up the open circuit, very quickly.

Let us know how you go, & what you find.

Cheers Banjo

Thanks Banjo. Was planning to get one and give it a go.

Russell

Hi Russell,

Assuming the starter motor did turn over previously, & there is a good "earth strap" between the car's chassis & the engine block, then the first place I would be looking, is the "terminal bolt", attaching the heavy cable fron the battery +ve terminal, to the starter motor itself.

If that is OK, then you will be looking for a lack of power to one or more "control" circuits.

If for instance, if your lights all work, but the starter motor is dead, when you turn the key; then  you have narrowed it down to the starting circuit.  If however, everything is dead, then it may well be a burnt out in-line fusible link, that got "zapped", while hooking up jumper leads.

P.S.    Also remove the cover on the fuse block down below the steering wheel, & see if there is 12 volts on any of the fuses.  If you do, find a fuse with 12 volts on it, check that there is volts, on the other end of that fuse.  If not, the fuse will probably bee blown.  Any fuses with no volts on either end, doesn't mean that the fuse is blown.  Some fuses only have voltage applied to them, when the ignition switch is on.

Let us know how you go.

Cheers Banjo

"If however, everything is dead,"

This!   Tell us what works and what doesn't and see if it can be narrowed down.  The car is divided into circuits, so have you lost all of them or only some?

I've only had KE70s, so have lots on those. Toyota often have fusible links on the battery positive side, sort of giant fuses. Really its just a particular wire in a rubber casing that blows apart if it gets too much current. Later ones look more like proper fuses in plastic casings.