Corolla K30 timing belt

Hello, i m buying a corolla Ke30 i think 1.2 (because It has 4 gears), stopped in a garage since 1999. It has timing belt or timing chain? It Is difficult tò find? Where i can find the engine code ? The car has no documents so i Ve to do new ones. Thanks a lot!

20240224_162328.jpg

20240224_162550.jpg

20240224_161941.jpg

Members dont see this ad

Hi Luca,

Welcome aboard !  Congratulations on your KE30 acquisition.  

1.  Assuming it has a K series engine in it, the engine model number & serial number, are stamped into the engine block, on a flat, just behind & below the  distributor.

2.  The K Series engines all have a timing/camshaft chain; at the front of the engine, under the cover behind the crankshaft pulley.

If you'd like to lift the hood/bonnet, & take a photo of the engine bay, then we can identify it more easily.

It looks in pretty good condition, & you are lucky, it has been "garage stored", for the last 14-15 years.

Are you planning on getting it going, & roadworthy, yourself; or have others do it for you ?

I can detect a little "common" rust, right at the bottom of the passengers front door.

The first thing, you are probably going to need, is four (4) new tyres, as I doubt, that the existing ones; lying flat for 14-15 years on a concrete floor, are going to hold air.

Come back to use with as many pictures that You can create, especially, under the bonnet; & we'll try to assist you.

Where about in the world are you located; & are olde Corollas common there ?

Cheers  Banjo

Edited by Banjo

Hi and thanks for the answer...i m in Rome , Italy, and trust me It Is the First time in my 40 years old life that i ve seen this kind of Corolla! It Is in good condition, i m Happy that has chain and not a belt, so i can try tò start It before the restoration. I do the works by myself, hopefully!!! Tomorrow i LL go there to see if the engine Is not blocked, if It Is ok i LL buy It. Thanks from the advice. Tomorrow you Will have other pictures ehehe....and you where are you from?

Your English is perfect !  I am in Brisbane, Australia.  There were lots of early Corollas here in the 60s & 70s.

Tomorrow i LL go there to see if the engine Is not blocked, if It Is ok i LL buy 

By "blocked", I assume You mean, "seized".

The simplest way to test is to remove all the spark plugs; squirt some oil down each spark plug hole, into the cylinder. Leave for 5 minutes & then try to turn the engine over by hand with a spanner on the crankshaft pulley centre bolt, in a clockwise direction, with the gearbox in neutral.

There will still be some resistance, as you will still be lifting valve springs; but movement will prove that it is not seized.

Good luck !

Cheers Banjo

On 3/2/2024 at 11:00 AM, Banjo said:

Hi Luca,

Welcome aboard !  Congratulations on your KE30 acquisition.  

1.  Assuming it has a K series engine in it, the engine model number & serial number, are stamped into the engine block, on a flat, just behind & below the  distributor.

2.  The K Series engines all have a timing/camshaft chain; at the front of the engine, under the cover behind the crankshaft pulley.

If you'd like to lift the hood/bonnet, & take a photo of the engine bay, then we can identify it more easily.

It looks in pretty good condition, & you are lucky, it has been "garage stored", for the last 14-15 years.

Are you planning on getting it going, & roadworthy, yourself; or have others do it for you ?

I can detect a little "common" rust, right at the bottom of the passengers front door.

The first thing, you are probably going to need, is four (4) new tyres, as I doubt, that the existing ones; lying flat for 14-15 years on a concrete floor, are going to hold air.

Come back to use with as many pictures that You can create, especially, under the bonnet; & we'll try to assist you.

Where about in the world are you located; & are olde Corollas common there ?

Cheers  Banjo

Unbelievable...After 30 years corolla start with new petrol and new battery. Today i Ve taken It with the Tow truck, i put in my garage and the car Is dead. I Ve tried also tò bridge the Key, nothing works, no lights on the Dashboard, no lights,nothing of Nothing. Simeone could help me?

Now you know why it was in the garage instead of being driven!

Put a test meter over the fusible links in the main lines off the battery.  If they are OK, start with fuses I suppose.  Its just a big check of the wiring, very time-consuming.

Hi Luca,

I'm a bit confused.   I read your line   

Unbelievable...After 30 years corolla start with new petrol and new battery. 

that you had put fresh petrol & a new battery in it, & it started; which would be unbelievable.

So did it start; or did it not start, before you put in on the tow truck ?

As everything electrically is now dead; then I am assuming, it did not start.

Electrical circuits in olde cars look complicated, because of all the wires.  However, every circuit, is a simple circuit when broken down. 

The power for every circuit leaves the battery positive terminal, then passes through some "fusible links"  (right next to the battery terminal), then through another fuse, a switch; & then to the device being powered, whether that is a light, horn, car radio, etc.  The "return side" of the power circuit (light/horn/radio) goes to the -ve terminal of the battery.  In most cases there is no wire from each powered device, to the -ve battery terminal, as the chassis of the car, acts as the ground return.  It is therefore critically important, that the heavy -ve terminal cable to the battery, is firmly grounded to the chassis.  It is usually directly below the battery, on the chassis rail.  I would unbolt it, clean its surfaces up, & ensure this connection is good, before doing anything else.

At the moment, you are only interested it getting two (2) circuits working.

(a) the starter motor circuit, & the (b) ignition circuit.

Start with the starter motor.   Take out all 4 off spark plugs & put some lightish oil down the spark plug holes.

Check the +ve battery terminal connection & the heavy lead at the other end, where it is connected to the starter motor. 

Find the light wire attached to the starter motor solenoid. Remove it (pull off) & connect a piece of wire to the starter motor solenoid.  Touch the other end of this wire to the battery positive terminal. The starter motor should engage, & turn the motor over.

If it does, then step one (1) has been successful.  If not, check all connections to & from the battery & starter motor, including the earth strap, to the negative terminal of the battery.

Once you have got that far; remove the fuel line where it enters the carby. With sufficient petrol in the tank, turn the engine over; (with no spark plugs) & fuel should flow out of the pipe to the carby. Collect this in a can, or vessel; as you need to flush the fuel line & pump out, before you let any fuel into the carby.

Once you get that far, come back, & let us know what transpired, & we'll try to assist you to get the ignition firing. 

Cheers Banjo

Edited by Banjo