Ke55 Conversion To 18rg

Retrospekt

Hey people, i have been looking around for awhile trying to find a definitive answer but have managed to so far, i was looking to do a 2tg conversion into my ke55 but cannot find one anywhere for sale, have the opportunity to grab a ra40 celica with 18rg and 5sp for a fairly low price, just wondering if this is a worthwhile idea or stick to trying to find a 2tg? If so any suggestions on where i can get one? (living in qld)

Members dont see this ad
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

HI 2 all.ok i may be dragging a dead horse on this thread...its dated a few months ago.

But it is of interest too me,as i have an RA40 liftback with 18R and 5 speeed that i can't seem to get rid of.(for money that is...not give away)

So i got thinking has anyone done this conversion into a corolla of ke style?

I have been lucky enough to get my nans ke 38 1979 van with the usual motorvation equipment 4k n 4 speed.

So has this swap been done and proven or is it a laughable waste of time...

open to suggestions and information wether it good or bad...

p.s. playin with mother mopars seemed easy 20 yrs ago....lol

Cheers

Teza

As i said before have recently bought a ke55 off another forum with an 18rg fitted, can provide photos to show how it was done if you like, but is definetly harder to do than a 2tg swap.

This one uses custom mounts with cortina rubber engine mounts and a shortened tailshaft. Is definetly much more nose heavy than a 2tg ( have done numerous versions of these). Am currrently trying to work out how to fix the suspension to cope but will work it out eventually.

Regards

Greg

HI 2 Retrospekt and schnitzel.

Firstly thank you ever so much for taking the time to add reply to my questions.

Good to see its not a total foolish idea (just getting into playing with these cars).

Schnitzel could you please post on here the photos you have or e mail them to me at [email protected],

giving this swap consideration as i do have the most expensive part of it all just sitting in the car out the back yard.

I'm guessing that not able to use ra4o struts with larger coil spring diameter to help with the extra load of the 18R donk.

Thanks again guys for you input.

Cheers

Terry

HI 2 All.thanks for your input super jamie,mmmmmmm everyone keeps saying how heavy these 18R engines are.....

whilst its only commonsense how much heavier they would be over 4k engine.

i can help but wondering how the guys have gone with engineering a corolla to turn with a holden v6 in it?

oh well maybe just chuck all the corolla front end away and make up a smaller version of a valiant torsion bar suspension...

cheers

terry

well, a v6 isn't really one of the best suggested motors either

that being said, there is a ke20 at my old hillclimbs that has a 350 chev, and it turns fine, so it is do-able

however, you'd want to develop the suspension to be *better*, not worse, as it would be with torsion bars :)

best of luck

hey jamie,thanks again for your input.

350 chev for hill climbs.ok how did the guy make it steerable around corners for such use and fun abuse cos that a shit load of weight in a little car (is it mid mounted or close to it).

and you just had to know how to power punt a heavy old val around corners (many years of practice and driving vals) lol

cheers

Teza