Alternator Wiring 4age -> Ke30 Loom

cuzzo

Hey guys, Hopefully you can help me otherwise i'll call sideshow/the witzl for a visit.

I'm having a problem getting the Standard Ke30 Charge Light to work with an Internally Regulated 4age Alternator.

I have read Witzls diagram on installing one of these, however it doesnt seem the same.

From what i can understand, testing aswell as looking at a ke30 wiring diagram for the loom, that the Charge Light works only with a positive supply of 12v from the engine bay(Old externally regulated plug).

I have turfed the regulator and now I'm using the two wires of it(Charge Light and Ignition Wire) I ran a new sense wire along with two +B wires straight to the battery using fusable links inbetween.(also why are fusable links no good?)

If i connect the Charge light on the dash directly to the charge light terminal on the Alt it doesnt turn on. I guess this is cause it needs a positive 12v not an earth which is what the alt puts out(From my understanding)

Now i have tried putting in a relay to create the positive 12v's.

(Using standard Relay) Relay diagram as such:

chargelight.jpg

This still doesnt work. However if i earth the wire going to the alt L terminal the charge light does come on, indicating that the bulb isnt blown nor a fuse.

So You guys have an idea what I'm doing wrong? Could it be the Alt is stuffed? I have tried another Alt but they are all second hand.

thanks guys and gals,

Adam

Members dont see this ad

I reakon the alternator isn't the problem.

If what you say is correct, try to work out if within the dash the charge light is using a common ground with all the ancillaries, if it's not snip that wire and feed 12V into that terminal. Wire the other one onto charge light wire on the altenator.

Hope this helps! :D

Edited by beerhead

To check the warning light just earth the warning light wire somewhere with the ignition on and it should light up.. with those denso internal reg alternators, they usually have a 3 pin plug with terminals marked IG, L, and S. the warning light is fed +12v from the ignition switch and the other side goes to the L terminal.. now the IG terminal needs an ignition supply which you can pick up from your old regulator wiring, and the S terminal has to have constant +12v for sensing.. this you can loop back to the bain batt. terminal on the alternator.. the alternator needs all these wires connected to turn the regulator on, if you do this and still no light, the alternator is faulty..

hope this helps..

Yeah for sure

The diagram is actually for a ke55 however it seems exactly the same to me.

There is these too diagrams but they are a little but hard to read. You need to download em and zoom up on them.

http://home.swiftdsl.com.au/~bradw/Wiring.html

Well i finally worked it out.

After staring at the back of the dash working out were all the circuits go and intergrate with what. Using a ke55 diagram and everyones help, i traced it down to the fuse panel.

Now what everyone was saying is correct, if i earthed the charge light wire it would light up. However it wouldnt for me untill i found the Broken(not blown) fuse. Its the old circle type which when checked it was together, then i pull all fuses out again and all the caps pop off them showing me where they are broken.

Also i have no idea why or how that if i give the L wire from the dash 12v's +ve the light comes on. Just thinking how could it possibly earth if the other end goes to 12v IGN??

For Future References:

With KE30's and 55 prob even 20's the 12v IGN source for the dash lights and gauges comes from the fuse which also runs the demister. Weird Hey???

Edited by cuzzo