Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

rollaclub.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Project Q - Sams 86 (many Tech Pics)

Featured Replies

holy shit, I'm a newb to this site and stumbled across this thread and read it all.

 

I'm so amazed with all your custom work its so awesome, don't see many people or any for that matter doing what you do.

 

i hope it all turns out well for sure, ill def be keeping an eye on this thread to see what goes on.

 

damo.

  • Replies 185
  • Views 249k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

  • Author

thanks master gee, I havent worked on it as much as I like in the last year because of other commitments or health issues. Lately though its been something else though, its my scooter, have u seen it?

 

http://www.rollaclub.com/board/index.php?s...=11524&st=0

 

its a work in progess, and I want to finish it soon.

  • 1 month later...
  • Author

well its been a while since I managed to do some work. Anyhow my coil mount broke once again and I decided that I was going to fix the problem once and for all. I not only moved the coils to the top of the engine but I modified the top cover to fit on and I also fitted the front covers which I painted black. I still need to paint my cams cover, I am not pretending to be a blacktop I just don't like silver on an engine much. I resized some OEM 20V leads for the job which I am a bit unsure about.

 

topcoilmount1.jpg

topcoilmount2.jpg

 

My coils mount is very simple but I still like how it turned out.

Do they get hot in that position ?

  • Author

no i don't think so, but to make sure i will give it hell, feel it and get back to you on it

Looks like you've spent a lot of time on your toy!

keep up the good thinking and enjoy the ride.

no i don't think so, but to make sure i will give it hell, feel it and get back to you on it

Yeah, i need some where to mount my coils and i want them close as possible but i don't want them to get to hot either, :D

  • Author

ae70: well I gave it a good thrashing and I felt the coils, I wouldnt say they were any hotter than what they normally are so I so give it the thumbs up, I also i fitted the cam cover off my blacktop now, looks heaps better

 

 

 

robj: thanks things havent been so good for a while though. I have some helath issues and I seem to be going dowhill. Add to that I just had a car break down today that will take some serious repairs. My passion has been fading pretty bad lately. I do very much enjoy driving it though, for me its so much fun to do a suspension tweak and see how it feels different. Which reminds me I need to get around to raising the front of my car 5mm too.

woah great technical build up. i gotta say you really took the saying patience is a virtue to heart haha.

  • Author

yes thanks, I have to have patience because I don't get a whole lot of time to work on my things, this also has to compete with my other interests.

  • 1 month later...
  • Author

well its been a while and a hell of a lot of crap has happened, heres how it started:

 

I was driving along minding my own buisness and I went to change gear, it didnt feel right, I pressed it again and my foot went straight to the floor with ease, I knew something was up. Just by chance the Moomba celebrations were on and I got stuck in traffic without a clutch. I ended up driving it without a clutch but I had to start and stop a few times, this made my starter motor so hot it started to smoke. I drove 40km home and looked at it the next day. I found the slave cylender had popped out, no big deal I thought. When I had a closer look i found that the clutch fork was out. I took off my T50 box and to my horror I saw this:

 

deadclutch1.jpg

 

deadclutch2.jpg

 

the thrust bearing was seized and rubbed against the pressure plate till it melted, it used to be an exedy, what a loss!!! The weird thing is I didnt hear a thing and I didnt have the stereo on at the time.

 

 

So first up I broke:

 

1: slave cylender

2: thrust bearing

3: excedy pressure plate

 

the thread is on toymods for anyone who wants a read:

 

http://www.toymods.net/forums/showthread.php?t=20425

 

 

 

 

A very short time later I was driving along and again my foot went straight to the floor, getting really pissed off I kept driving but I started to hear a knocking sound. I stop look under the car and stunned I se my brand new PBR slave cylender hanging down. Looking closer I see that its legs have been broken off. When I later was able to take it out again I had a good look and found it had a casting failure. I took it back, got another, and reinstalled it. Back on the road again

 

Failure 4: brand new slave cylender

 

 

 

a few more days pass and once again I press on the clutch to hear a metal rubbing sound, pissed off I decide to drive home anyway. When I take the gearbox off once again I find that the brand new thrust bearing was seized WTF!!??? onto of that it has wrecked my fork and clips. I get a new bearing (a nachi one this time), another fork and some new clips and I am on the rroad again.

 

Failure 5: brand new thrust bearing

6: thrust carrier retainer clips

7: clutch fork

 

 

 

at this stage I am rather cranky and I have a good week without a problem, I continue to work on the car I am fixing for my partner and I manage to get a roadie, all I need to do is go back for a final check and get it signed off, I get about 10km away before the engine seizes up.

 

Failure 8: 98 model injected charade engine with only 130K on it ....$$$$!!

 

 

 

 

more weeks pass and I think I am set for a little while, oh boy was I wrong...

 

 

 

 

smashed.jpg

 

 

 

 

some fool without insurance decides to not look or give way in a round-a-bout...

 

 

damaged parts:

 

- sub frame

- headlight

- bonnet

- JDM grill

- gaurd

- parker

- bumper

 

 

an interesting note is that while I had only third party with Just car they are sorting it all out and sending the guy the bill.

  • Author

oh a bit of side note:

 

 

after managed to deceive my way out of an epa 'vehicle too noisy' pin I am thinking of making my car quieter, good for my sanity too. I still want a tottaly non restrictive exhaust but not be loud and it seems that theres no much on the market to help me. So I had an idea, first here are some princibles that I think apply:

 

- a muffler or resonator with a straight perforated section of the pipe through the middle will not block any flow regardless of length

 

and

 

- the longer the pipe is with with sound deadening material around will block more noise

 

if I am wrong on this please correct me

 

 

so if the pipes inside the muffler are the longest possible lengths and only the straight sections are perforated then it will be its quietest

 

so I am thinking of making the pipe just afetr my diff beak into 2 pipes of an equal cross section area (CSA) combined, and then internally to 4 individual 1.25 inch pipes.

 

Heres is my drawing:

 

muffleridea.jpg

 

I am pretty sure it wouldn't cause any extra restriction but would it stop the nasty raspy sound that my 20v makes?

 

also I am thinking of using rock wool for the baffling

  • 3 weeks later...
  • Author

well my car has been approved for repair so thats good.

 

 

Anyway I did some work on my custom rear muffler I want to do, this was hard as I had to roll my own rear perforated sections.

 

mufflerconcept02.jpg

 

mufflerconcept01.jpg

  • 3 weeks later...
  • Author

well I ordered a special carbide burr that is 150mm long and it let me do some porting on my cylender head that I couldnt do before. Ports are a very difficult thing to take pictures of but I tried:

 

 

 

this is when I did a small amount previously:

 

inletports3.jpg

 

 

 

 

and how it is now:

 

inletports4.jpg

inletports5.jpg

inletports6.jpg

inletports7.jpg

 

 

so far I really like it, and I will just do a little bit more cleaning up with yet another 150mm long burr I have on the way

  • Author

The other day I once again modified my rear brake calipers.

 

I previously when I installed them changed the mounting that holds the brake cable in place to make it come off at a better angle but this time I modified the actual arm. When I first installed the calipers I found that the handbrake would have to be pulled up heaps for only a small amount of actuation so I thought that I needed more of a mechanical diasadvantage on the brake calipers lever.

 

So heres what I did:

 

 

 

 

caliper2.jpg

 

In original form

 

 

caliper3.jpg

 

chopped and welded straight

 

 

caliper4.jpg

 

Redrilled

 

 

caliper5.jpg

 

shortened

 

 

 

 

after doing this it felt heaps better and my handbrake finally works!

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.