Project Q - Sams 86 (many Tech Pics)

Sam_Q

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well it sucks, I don't have time to do much to my car for quite a while because I am doing house renovations and garage work. Whatever time is left is making cooling parts for people and working out the finer details of my dizzy relocation kit that I was to cheapy mass produce.

ok heres what I have planned in the immediate future:

- make a new loom up from a stock 20v loom to test my dizzy kit if it works

- machine up a new crank angle sensor for my 20v head that uses a wolf optical disk and a ca18 sensor

- fit Recaro seats out of a WRX

- play with the suspension some more

but yeah all in due time

• 1 month later...

well its been a while and I havent been able to do much work because of dedicating myself to work on my house and garage. In any other spare time I have been making cooling parts for people and working on a dizzy relocation kit.

Heres my prototype:

dizzykit5.jpg

However in preparation for my first track day ever I did do some basics:

- I changed the diff center + outer bearings + axle seals

- fitted slotted DBA rotors

- changed my rear anti-roll bar as a temporary patch up job untill I make some rear coil-overs up

- Fitted this shiftlight:

shiftlight.jpg

That was all good till yesterday when my DLI converted decided to break down again and I decided I had enough. I looked for every Wolf ECU related part I could find and put it all in one place. I modified my airbox to house a temp sensor and after all that dropped off my car at a workshop in Dandenong to get it happening. This should be interesting

you can say that after I test it! because right now I don't know if its working yet, its complete I just need to bolt it to the engine and see if it falls off after 10,000km. I have no idea how to work with vibrations and for all I know the fatigue will kill the bolts.

Edited by Sam_Q

only the 20v.... I had a good look to see if I could make a version to suit my 7age head (later 4afe) and theres a few big problems: the cam cover would have to be cut into and the front cover would have to be cut but this is trivial, the real issue is that there is nothing for me to bolt the base plate to. There is an M10 threaded hole strangley vacant on the 20v head combined with an M6 threaded hole that makes for a pretty easy bolted postition. On the FE head theres pretty much crap all and I would have to make some seriously difficult brackets to make it work.

My car is back and running on the new Wolf ECU and its increadable. Oddly enough it feels like the top end is just increased a little but I know I has gone up heaps, the reason being is that the mid range power is now out of sight. The power curve is increadibly linear and because of this there is less of a sudden power rush giving the feeling of a big power hit. Either way the revs go up pretty quick and its great, the final power at the wheels: 101kw!! They said a stock VL turbo gets 95kw on their dyno. I will post a graph soon enough.

Now the weird part: It makes that 101kw in two seperate parts of the power curve, 6100RPM and 8200RPM. There is a little power dip beween them so its quite strange. Now I know 20V engines are well known to not follow intake theories in practice but I found my primary intake resonance is at 6000RPM which might explain it. I am going to do some experimenting and see what happens.

Also even though I put a reluctance converter in my system I am having problems with the Wolf reading the stock crank angle sensor. This sometimes causes the engine to make it feel like it has a gentle rev cut at around 7000 RPM sometimes. It ends up showing up as a noise fault on my hand controller.

oh i forgot to add the strangest part, I used to have a stong rasp sound in my exhuast as shown in my crappy vids:

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=urO6YNOpAk4

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=QSBbZwcjhk4

now that rasp is tottaly gone and its smooth and significantly quieter. I was told and I always believed it was because of the high overlap in the stock cams but I guess not...