20v Swap, Or New Car

morgz

i have a ae92 seca like most people out there, its got the carby 4afc running, and basically its on its last legs, I'm debating as to whether or not to chuck a new, efi engine, such as the silvertop 20v into it. yet I'm wondering if the price of converting a carby car to fuel efi is worth the cost? i know there is the issue of wiring and the like. so i wasnt sure if its going to be cheaper to buy a seca sx and just chucking the 20v into that, which would be the most cost effective option? i was also thinking about placing an 'e58?" gearbox in, as i heard it gives you front lsd, not sure if thats true, any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks

Members dont see this ad
so is it as simple as putting in an e58 box in to get lsd? are they a strong box? will it be expensive to put in?

Yes they are a strong box. A E series box would have to be strong to handle the torque of a 4agze.

i was also thinking about placing an 'e58?" gearbox in, as i heard it gives you front lsd, not sure if thats true, any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks

not all e58 boxes are lsd :D and i wouldnt bother with a "e" series box on a na as the ratios are way to long.

plus if you u reseached enough u will find that the is a lsd box in the "c" series. if i remeber correctly the c160 6 speed boxes that were offered with 20v blacktop are lsd, this if ur planning a conversion to a 20v engine is more suited to the engine :)

not all e58 boxes are lsd :D and i wouldnt bother with a "e" series box on a na as the ratios are way to long.

plus if you u reseached enough u will find that the is a lsd box in the "c" series. if i remeber correctly the c160 6 speed boxes that were offered with 20v blacktop are lsd, this if ur planning a conversion to a 20v engine is more suited to the engine :)

thanks for the comment mystik, i didnt think you could put a 6sp in the ae92, but ill check it out now, thanks again

If ya want to know if your E series box is lsd.

# AW11 - use an E51, with the linkages facing forwards

# AE92/92 - use an E58 and E52. Quite rare to get an LSD though, if you do, it will 90% likely be a MAP sensor version.

# AE101 - use E58, and LSDs are far more common.

# E58-474 -> open centre

# E58-11C -> LSD

# E58-XX* -> where XX are two numbers, if * is odd, you have LSD.

# E58 LSD and NON-LSD CV shafts are non-interchangeable.

# E51 LSD and NON-LSD CV shafts ARE interchangable.

^^^^ Copied from toymods^^^^

If you put an E series on a N/A engine you will have veru good fuel economy but it will take you 30 seconds to hit 100kph. as MYSTIK said.

Edited by too quick

• 1 year later...