Trd Lsd

• 3 months later...
Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just to bring an old thread back to life:

can do for $1260nz at this stage looking at being $1300nz delivered. just have to confirm that postage insurance will cover the cost of replacment if the lose them!

Any idea what sort of import duties and/or taxes are involved here? Do we get taxed for stuff from NZ? I know I paid a fair bit of import duty and tax when I got my stuff shipped from the UK...

And just out of interest, Vision R in Perth are selling these:

Cusco Type-MZ LSD 1 or 2 way AE86 - $1270 delivered

Cusco Type-RS LSD 1 or 2 way AE86 - $1450 delivered

TRD LSD 1 or 2 way AE86 - $ 1250 delivered

well at the mo TRD keeps changing prices..... due to exchange rates etc.

if you buy off me you pay me the full amount and theres no more to be paid on top of that.

i can now do TRD lsds from $1050nz freight is prob gunna take it up to $12-1250 delivered. but remeber thats NZ dollars

Hmm, you wouldn't happen to be able to get the Cusco ones would you? I've heard rumours that they're more durable and more progressive (bigger clutches, and better oil flow through the center), but that's only rumours so I don't know...

Edited by demuire

Hmm, yes AUD1100 does sound rather good doesn't it? Heh, maybe we can even save on shipping if we bought them in one go :dance:

I've got no doubt the TRD ones are good, just surprised me that the Cusco ones weren't much more expensive so if they're supposed to be better then maybe that's a wiser option? Maybe, dunno. Here's something I found:

Contrary to what manufactures want you to believe, TRD-Toyota Technocraft, Mugen-Honda Racing, RalliArt-Mitsubishi Rally Operations, MazdaSpeed-Mazda, STI-Subaru Technica Int., NISMO- Nissan Motorsports, all have their LSD's made by the same supplier, a Hitachi subsidiary.  This is because the majority of  the normal differential gears are supplied by them.  They use the cheap factory casing and re-work the inside.  This limits the size and number of the gears, and clutches thereby sacrificing true potential.  They claim 4 pinions but have only 3 or 4 small clutches on one side.  They use very high cam profile to put high loads on the clutches so that it can achieve high lock up.  The problem with this approach is that the pre-load on the clutches are higher and tires have constant drag.  Also, since the clutches are small and few, the load is larger per given surface area, translating into higher operating temperatures and fast  wear.  Another major disadvantage to this type of LSD has to be the abrupt lock-up, making on-off conditions less predictable and controllable.

The true high-quality Limited Slip are supplied by Kaaz and Cusco, who supply majority of racing teams throughout Japan.  The Cusco and Kaaz differentials have on the average 10mm oversize clutch diameter and computer stamped oil channels which hold lubricants during operation.  The plates number from 6-8 and have very wide selection of pre-load springs to choose from.  Since the clutch has to press together less to achieve very high lock-up, the LSD generates less heat and wears much longer.  All components are computer ground and shell casing is not stamped as in the OEM and Branded Hitachi units.  Over the long run, these units will cost less to operate due to the lower maintenance required in terms of rebuilding and replacement of clutches.  Most of all, these LSDs are much more controllable, having a wider, more progressive lock-up and better positive lock up at the limit.  They are more streetable because it won't suddenly spin you around in low traction conditions such as rain and snow.  You can, but you can also be in control...

To add to this, Kaaz differentials have higher quality tolerance levels, represented by computer balanced shell casing and gears, and initial pre-load springs are matched to vehicle applications.  The reason for small application list is that they go through 3 years of N1 and Gr. A racing to design the differential design and specifications.  I prefer the KAAZ because of cheaper entry price tag too, made even better by introductory pricing in the US markets. Consider it the ultimate in LSD.

Mind you, no idea how reliable the source is, so yeah... Plus, if you can get the TRD ones over here for AUD1100ish, then the Cusco one (the MZ anyway) starts looking like a fair bit more money...