Twin Or Single 40mm Sidedrafts For A Mild 5k

jaYmo

Hey all, I'm Jamie from Christchurch, New Zealand. I'm planning to do up a ke30 in the near future and am gonna be building a mild 5k to drop into it. The purpose of this post is so that I can find out if I should be using a single or twin sidedraft setup.

I'm aware that either will do the job, but firstly I've heard that twin setups can be a pain in the ass and/or costly to tune and keep them tuned. And secondly is that a twin setup may be unnecessarily thirsty. (The main reason for this concern is I'll be on a student allowance and would like to keep the fuel consumption within a sensible range for a 1500cc motor.)

I've got a PAIR of Mikuni/Solex 40mm sidedrafts with k series manifold, but because of the above mentioned potential problems, have begun to lean towards using a SINGLE 40mm sidedraft setup. The only mods to the 5k will be; A mild road cam, polished inlet/exhaust ports/intake manifold and almost-flat-top pistons.

So to sum it up, what I need to know is:

-Is what I've heard about twin setups being a pain in the ass/costly to tune a myth, or is it true?

-Will a twin setup on a 5k use too much fuel? (in comparison with a single carb setup that is)

-Will I be comprimising much power if I do choose a single setup over twinnies?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, especially from those who have had experience with this issue. :(

Cheers all, Jamie. :)

Members dont see this ad
  • 1 month later...

Side draft twins sound amazing. I have a set of twin 1 1/2" su`s on my 5k and the echo through steets is great.

I think other than the carbs i have a close setup but i can't give you an idea of economy as my speedo is way out and i drive a v8 as my daily so of course id be a bit biased when i say its really really cheap to run.

With tunning her the setup tune was $86. its a shame you don't live hear as they(mammi motors) would pretty much tune it within 2 hours they charge $66 an hour plus parts, not a plug just giving you an idea on what you should be paying. One last tip look around for the shops that do older rally cars they always run twins.

good luck with your project.

stu.