Alternator Fun

camerondownunder88

Hi,

Ok been a while since I finished this thread but here goes.

After getting the alt on I had difficulty getting the fan belt on. The problem I found out was the alt was hitting the nut that holds the back of the alt mount to the block. Pic below of the bolt:

post-1811-1169299066_thumb.jpg

As you can see above this was the alt sitting lose out as far as it could go so it didn't let it move in much and well if the alt was hitting the bolt there was still not enough play to get the belt on and if it was on the belt would be SUPER tight.

So the cause of this is the original alt didn't have the rear mount off set backwards. As you can see in the pic above my copper spacer I made :jamie: But the standard one also has a sheet metal mount so it slides between the bolt and mount and wont hit.

So the solution to this was to grind the alt mount down. And this is the alt after grinding:

post-1811-1169299435_thumb.jpg

The pic above is the only one I have of the gridded alt mount but this is with the fan belt on so you can see still a gap I took a good chunk out of it with the die grinder and problem fixed.

Not with the cable I went and got some cable rated at 50 AMPS at 50 volts so at 12 volts it will handle 70amps. I also left the standard cable and just ran this over the top of it from the B+ to the battery. I also went and bough the plug for the reg at a auto sparky shop so it looks neat and original and I wired it like the drawing you did dave and well got conduit and stuff and made a neat small alt to battery loom looked good..lol

But that is how it all worked out. But now I can run EVERY thing the corolla came with standard and the stereo and spot lights and my bigger head lights and reverse lights and all dash lights on adn the charge light will not come on and yes I cheaked it it is because of the alt not he light in the dash..lol So alt can supply LOADS of power and now car starts easier and I also bought a bigger new battery to go with the setup so it is all new and works great now. As b4 the standard alt just head lights on and a blinker and well charge light would flash toe the blinker or beat of the music so it was worn the original alt. So worth the cost of a new regulator for the alt and the time to change it.

Cameron

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic