Is 4y Crank The Same As 3tc

jags183

Hello all, newbie here. I was reading a thread about the 2TG/3TC hybrid on here and someone mentioned that the 4Y crank can be used in the 2TG. Is it the same as the 3TC or does it have different characteristics? May well make a big difference to me as there weren't any 3TC engined cars brought to the UK as far as I am aware.

Members dont see this ad

Yes and no that the 4y crank fits. From memory the rear bearing seal has to be modified on the crank. The 4y crank will only fit the later model 2t-g due to the wider skirting around the crank (the early ones can be moded but its a hassle).

If your thinking of doing it remember a couple of things. To get the 2150cc, the bores have to be machined past the water jackets and wet liners fitted. Piston speed will be pretty high because of having to use shorter conrods which also leads to poor conrod-to-crank fitment.

If its something to shove your finger up at the plod, yeah sure go for it. But for all practical reasons sticking with the 2t/3t hybrid would be better.

Thanks for your input. The reason why I'm looking at that option is that I'm in the UK and can't get hold of a 3T crank, so I'm looking for alternatives. I've got a 2T GEU engine on twin sidedraught Solex 40s and I want to get some decent, reliable power out of it.

Any extra info or pointers will be very gratefully received.

Thanks,

J

it can be done but its a lot of work and cost. also there is a aftermarket 4y crank that is stronger according to toyspeed,

look on their website for more info regarding the 4y crank and fitament. also having such a long stroke also reduces the great revviness of the 2tg, ie its oversquare design and thats one of the best features of the small 2tg 1600 capacity engine.

if you want ill look into sending you a 3tc crank over as they are more avaliable here in aus and if you have a later model 2tg block then it will fit without any mods, else earlier blocks require some grinding work to fit. stroker crank and overbore to 89mm = as big a 2tg as you want. some people recommend only going to 88.5 to retain a decent cylinder wall thickness.

3t - stroker pistons avaliable are:

85.5mm and 86mm over in cast about $300 set

87mm and 89mm in forged aftermarket $900 set

custom cast any size about $600 set

custom forged any size about $1200 set

rememeber that the stroker crank needs matching stroker pistons, not stock 2tg pistons. a point often overlooked by people wanting to use the stroker crank in their 2tg. the stroker crank is from a 3t and many companies make cast and forged pistons to suit. i have found 2tg pistons are hard to find in cast or forged unless custom made.

Thank you styler, that's very helpful. If you wouldn't mind looking into getting a 3TC crank to me I would be eternally grateful. I've been thinking hard about this 4Y crank and I don't think it's the right way to go and your comments have confirmed that in my mind.

Many thanks once again.

J

Is this going to be any good to me? I've been quoted $120 for shipping but am unsure what effect the 'cut' element is going to have on the 2TGEU hybrid (???).

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Cut-3TC-Cra...1QQcmdZViewItem

that seems to be cut as in reground, meaning if it was worn then it gets ground down to the next undersize

bearing to fit it and its like new. ie reconditioning the crank.

it will still fit a stock motor as the bearings are undersize, ie thicker on the inside face to take up what was ground off. make sure you get the matching undersize bearings with it as they can be hard to source seperately.

Edited by styler

• 8 years later...

isnt it better to use the 3y crankshaft as its 86mm which would make a nice streeter for and 86mm bore 2tc = 1998cc

the 4y is 91mm stroke and the 3tc is 78mm so I would prefer 86mm all day long and if you are to sleeve the 2tc

might as well go all the way to 91mm and use mitsubishi astron pistons but 86 x 86 mm would be no sweat.