4ac Dying?

meadan

I was wondering if anyone here can help me with a few trouibles I'm having with my 4ac powered wagon.

I have pretty much a stock 4ac, except for the weber carb and removed emissions crap. It has been running well for a few months, since i replaced the stock carb.

Now today i was letting it idle and then it just died.

It is hard to start, like it will crank for ages and then struggle to actually start. It will only start when i give it heaps of throttle, and then it will die because it sounds like its choking or something.

Every few times it will start and then the revs will build up until it idles normally, then i can rev it like normal. Ill let it sit for a few minutes and then it will die again.

I have the feeling its something to do with fuel, but I'm really not sure.

Ive checked the leads and spark plugs. Ive sprayed carbie cleaner into the carb, and i made adjusted to fuel screw to make sure it wasnt flooding and that it was actually getting fuel.

any suggestions?

Members dont see this ad

I'm going to put in a new fuel filter on sunday.

I havent checked the fuel pump, it seems weird because it does run normal for a few mintues until it dies again.

On sunday I'm going to replace the dizzy cap and rotor, replace fuel filter, check the timing, check the compression and then see what its doing.

I'm not sure what else to check for.

sounds like a good start mate, is it posible the carb is jetted for a bigger motor?

my old 4ac with a stock carb would not idel, it would die at traffic lights etc. i was talking to another bloke who had the same problem. he put a reco kit threw the carb. it was about 65bucks i belive.

is the idel set correctly? not too low...?

The old stock carb wouldnt idle either. The choke wasnt working properly, because it would idle as soon as i pressed the choke manually, so there was something wrong with the electronic control.

The carb may be jetted wrongly, though i bought it off a guy who got it tuned for his 4ac apparently. Plus it has been running exceptionally well for the past few months since i put it on.

I'm not sure how to adjust the idle speed on the weber, but it would idle ok. A little bit high because of the lack of chokes (somewhere around 1200 rpm), but it would idle steady and hold the same revs.

When i try to start it and rev it, it kind of sounds like its choking, or sucking in too much air or something. Ill check to see if everything is blocked off corrctly which is meant to be blocked off on sunday...

ok after spending way too much time mucking around with it on the weekend i have figured out that...

it only works when its cold, and dies as soon as it gets kind of warm.

everything i said id check seems good. Which makes no sense at all.

I'm thinking that the coil is heating up and then deciding not to work, does this sound reasonable?

Ballast resistor cracked or old shitty looking ?

Pull a lead off when its running and see what colour the spark is, Should be a white/Blue

You might need a pair of insulated pliers to pull a lead off with it hurting.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
yeah a guy at work suggested the ballast resistor, but it wasnt that.

i replaced the coil, dizzy rotor, contact set and condenser. Among those 3, one of them fixed the problem, so its all good now.

sounds like similar symptoms to mine.

mine was the coil