4age Questions

Hey guys

Well yesterday I got given a 4age block, crank, and smallport head ;) . The block is one of the early 3 rib types but has been cleaned up and honed ready to be put back together. So i have a few questions for the 4age gurus out there.

1. Am i right in presuming the smallport head will be fine to use with the 3 rib block?

2. It didn't come with a flywheel but can a flywheel from any fwd 4age be used? Its got the 8 bolt crank.

3. Will i need to use the smallport injectors and fuel rail with associated loom or is the bigport ones interchangeable?

4. Are the bigport pistons and rods the same as i believe the smallport had higher compression than the bigport?

5. Can 4ac conrods be used as i have a set of those?

Thats about it for now. Not sure what I'm going to do with this yet but thinking it would look pretty sweet in ke20 or maybe even the ke26 panel van :bash:

Thanks in advance

Justin

Members dont see this ad

Ok after doing some more research today, Ive got a "small" crank. The one with the 40mm bearing.

So that leads me to think i will need to use the big port rods and pistons so i have the correct gudgeon pin size as on billzillas site he says the later style pistons ie small port have a 20mm gudgeon pin compared to the 18mm of the bigport.

So I'm thinking big port pistons and rods for the bottom end and the smallport head with smallport inlet manifold, injectors, rail etc.

I take it the smallport computer wont have a problem if the compression ratio is slightly different to the standard smallport block by using the bigport bottom end.

If I'm wrong feel free to correct me.

Smallport and bigport fuel rails are different so it will help to use the right one but both can be used but the wrong one will cause the injectors to be on a lean and i don't think thats good for the seals.

I think the small bearing journel cranks are 6 bolt where the flywheel bolts up but I'm not sure, Have a quick look and if its 8, If its 8 any 4age flywheel will bolt up except early 6 bolt ones. 20v blacktop has the lightest flywheel so find one of them if ya can. 4agze flywheels wont fit in the t50 housing so thats not really viable.

I wouldnt use any 4ac internals, Easy enough to find the right stuff.

The computer should run it fine coz i know of a few smallports running bigport computers.

Des ;)

there is no such thing as a 6 bolt 4age crank.

if you have the 40mm crank you need bluetop rods and pistons. stop saying bigport.... they came as the bluetop, and the first redtops.

use the injectors to suit the ecu you use.

any 4age flywheel will fit it. if you can get a black top 20v one. they are the lightest.

if you know of some small ports at wreckers.... see if you can get one of those.

small port > bigport by a lot!

proof please.

there is NO evidence of that anywhere other than a coupla websites where people say "apparantly, but iv never seen one"

there is no 6 bolt crank in ANY toyota service manual iv read, or on ANY model in the EPC

its a myth

I originally thought that all bigport GE's had a 6 bolt flywheel and that i was going to be fine with using the 4A-C flex plate but then i found out that all aus delivered GE's are 8 bolt and the 6 bolt flywheels only existed in the very early JDM/US twincams, Here is a reply i got in the email:

some of the very first JDM AE86's had the 6 bolt crank, I think they were in 1983 or 84. I'm 99% sure you wont find a FWD 4ag with a 6 bolt crank.

So i did some research and found that TODA do a 6 bolt flywheel for a 4AGE, I ended up gettin an 8 bolt flex plate anyway.

post-1373-1181952848.jpg

Edited by Trev

email from who?

again.. no toyota workshop manual or EPC shows 6 bolt.... and yes i mean ae86 and aw11 manuals and epc.

the same flywheel is also listed from the begining of ae86 production. no options.

ask toda how many 6 bolt 4age flywheels they have sold :)

there is no such thing as a 6 bolt 4age crank.

if you have the 40mm crank you need bluetop rods and pistons. stop saying bigport.... they came as the bluetop, and the first redtops.

use the injectors to suit the ecu you use.

any 4age flywheel will fit it. if you can get a black top 20v one. they are the lightest.

if you know of some small ports at wreckers.... see if you can get one of those.

small port > bigport by a lot!

I already have a "redtop" head, so I'm going to use that with the "bluetop" bottom end. The one at the wreckers is a redtop head on a bluetop bottom end anyway so someones obviously changed it at some stage. Apart from the oil squirters, is there any other differences between the two?