1JZ~lux

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well an update is well overdue. I can't provide any pictures yet though. I've been off for so long because my hard drive failed, so I've lost all my car stuff I had. :dance:

I got rid of the crappy Kenwood headdeck I had installed and replaced it with a $650 Pioneer I got for $320.

The dashlights turned out to be the AM radio. It turns out if I reconnect the green wire (illumination) to the radio it shorts in the radio and blows the fuse (taillights).

I installed a new center console that I got from Jip (thanks mate) and even though it's not the correct replacement it looks a lot better then the old one did with the missing piece. I also got a clock from him and was able to take the motor out of it and putting it in my clock, so it works again, and I replaced the passenger sunvisor with one from Jip too. The center rear view mirror that I got was more perished then mine so I put 2 small screws through the back of mine to tighten it up and stop the rattle for now. I'll look at replacing it with one with a dimmer later on.

The old rolla wound up being the vehicle I drove from Brisbane to Sydney and it made the trip relatively well. I just sat on 80 - 100 the whole way and did the trip over 2 days instead of 1. The only problem that it had was it blew a heater hose about 1/2 an hour out of Glen Innes. I was lucky a farmer came along on his tractor and had some hose I could have. I then spent the night in Tamworth, and got a better fitting (there is no direct replacement for the one I blew) hose when I arrived in Richmond.

I bought 2 new seatbelts as well seeing the old ones were starting to really take their time retracting. The brand and part number is Klippan K1512. They're not a direct swap but are very close. I used the original covers and top hanger to make them look more original and the plugs require the mounting point to be bent at 90 degrees.

That's it for now.

Cheers

Dave

Edited by 1JZ~lux

• 1 month later...

I've neglected this for a while so the next couple of posts are from my Toymods thread.

Couple of photos.

The new seatbelts

i1549573_NewRollaSeatBelts.JPG

The original center console. There's just a couple of differences between this one and the one that's in there at the moment. The shape is slightly different and the space above the gearshift boot is different. I'm curious as to what was in the space on the original console. It had a silver lined surround. The new one is an all black storage space.

i1549572_KE35originalcenterconsole.JPG

Went to Pick 'n' Payless today and picked up a new washer bottle and a KE70 center rear view mirror with the dim/tint switch. No more being blinded by the car behind me at night, yay!

I think I worked out what was in the empty slot above the gear shifter. I found a center console that had a Phillips cassette player in it. I didn't buy it 'cause it was a bit rusty but at least I know what to look for now.

Can anyone tell me what options the CS came standard with and what were available? A scanned brochure would be good.

I was the only KE at the Toymods cruise last night, so sad and the corolla badge on the drivers side broke one of its pins when I washed it.

On a lighter note, I cleaned all the stuff that was in the boot after water got in there and also fitted a KE70 center rear view mirror so I had a dimmer. This afternoon I'll give it an oil change and a new oil filter. I'll pick up a new badge from a wrecker next weekend and maybe look at doing some rewiring of the stereo too.

As soon as the Lux is rego'ed again and I'm happy I won't get any more hassles with it, I'll start restoring the 35. I want it done right from the get go so it'll be fully stripped, sanded, any rust hole welded not bogged and a full set of new rubbers (Rare Spares does a kit for over $700 so will try Spectrum Rubber and shop around). I'll be keeping it white with the same stripes down the sides too.

Also on the shopping list is a set of blinds and a visor for it and an up to date sound system. Nothing too flash, just a middle of the range Pioneer headdeck, Soundstream 6x9"s an amp or 2 and a pair of 10" subs.

Edited by 1JZ~lux

I've been poking around in the dash of my KE35 and have discovered a few wires that aren't connected to anything. I've got a Gregory's Corolla 1970-1978 manual but my wiring doesn't match anything in the manual. It's an Australian built 1978 KE35 CS Hardtop. The main reason I'm asking about them is cause I plan on installing factory A/C at some point and will need to know what wires to hook up.

Does anyone have the correct wiring diagram for this Rolla?

I've attached some photos of the wires I'm talking about.

The first wires are dark green and dark green with black trace and they are between the fuse box and the steering column.

i1607454_UnidentifiedWires1shrunk.JPG

The second wires are between the AM radio and the instrument panel and are red, red, black with white trace, black with white trace, white and green. The 2 black with white traces are looped together.

i1607455_UnidentifiedWires2shrunk.JPG

The third wire is a blue with white trace and comes from the heater/fan.

i1607456_UnidentifiedWires3shrunk.JPG

The forth wires are light blue, black with white trace, black with white trace, and red. and are just above the heater/fan.

i1607457_UnidentifiedWires4shrunk.JPG

In that last pic its not the one your pointing to but the really long loom that unplugs and another from the condenser plugs into its spot. As for the one under the steering column I'm pretty sure it has nothing to do with A/C. As for the green loom, it might be A/C related but its been ages since I've installed one of my units.

The original AM radio/cassette player wiring was hacked up by the last owner as he had no idea what he was doing when trying to install a CD player. The wire that are for the A/C and if any of the other wires are for the cassette player are the main concern. I was just curious about the other wires in case they are other accessories I might want to hook up in the future.

I've now run all the wiring for 2 amps in the boot that will drive Soundstream Terranculla 6x9"s and 2 Alpine Type S 10" subs. Headdeck is fully wired in and I'm waiting for Friday to pick up a lower dash as mine has some cracks down the bottom passenger side. I'm going to hang off putting the rear seat back in until I've replaced the rear shocks and gotten it re-upholstered. Any ideas on an old school design that doesn't use leather or vynal would be appreciated.

Cheers to those that helped with identifying my wires. What I've worked out/been told is: the first wires are speaker wires for if the car just had the AM radio with single speaker; the second set of wires are for the auto gear box if I had one; the 3rd wires are for A/C; and the 4th wires may also be for A/C (need to reference BradW's diagrams again).

This weekend I'm also picking up a lower dash section from a wrecker as I wasn't happy with a few cracks in the lower passenger corner on mine. The cracks have been glued and aren't really noticeable, but it bugged me knowing they were there. I'll put mine up for sale $10 with some pics after I've picked up the new one and I'll check the wrecker to see if he has any more in good nick if anyone is interested.

I live near Beaudesert and work near Ipswich so if your south or west I'm sure we could arrange a meeting.

Cheers for now

Dave

I feel sorry for you, Living near Beaudesert :( jokes, Its not that bad. I'm pretty sure it was your ute i spotted doing a massive one wheel skid near jimboomba ?

I felt sorry for me too, lol, but I've escaped now.

Yeah that probably would have been me. How long ago was it?

I picked up some more goodies for the Rolla today. I got a Vision 2 door central locking and alarm/immobilizer kit, lower dash from a wrecker, Soundstream Tarantula series 6x9"s, lay-byed a Soundstream Wanderer 2 channel amp and ordered some new rear shocks. The boot leaks so that has to be fixed before the amps and subs are installed.

The 6x9s

i1620918_Soundstream6x9sboxshrunk.JPG

i1620917_Soundstream6x9shrunk.JPG

The cracks in the old dash. The rest of the dash is in perfect condition and the cracks can't really be seen so I offer it up for free. Pick up only. It will be thrown out in 1 week.

i1620914_OldDashCracks.JPG

Tomorrow I'll start putting the dash back together with the new goodies installed. Still to be done is the boot/rear end cleaned up (remove all rust, replace rear bumper, replace all rubber, retrim the boot) and the rear seat reupholstered.

I'm going to get the body cleaned up in sections to spread out the cost. Starting with the boot/rear end 'cause it leaks, then work my way forward having all the rust removed, undercoated and new rubbers fitted. Once all the rust has been removed I'll get it resprayed in the original white and have the stripes on the sides replaced.

Edited by 1JZ~lux

• 4 weeks later...

Alarm is now installed. Immobilizer, siren, lights, ignition and remote central locking all work but none of the sensors are working (doors, bonnet, boot). Any tips would be appreciated. I also picked up a new set of locks today as one of mine had screwdriver damage. I couldn't work out how to get the ignition barrel out so I'll have two keys unless I shave the doors and boot. I also picked up a KE70 boot release witch I plan on combining with a spare central locking solenoid to make it a push button release. I just need to work out where to mount the solenoid and how to reset the solenoid after it's been triggered. Some photos will be up tomorrow.

That looks pretty good but what is velour? I've heard of it but don't know what kind of material it is.

I don't think I'll use black as the rest of the interiors main colour is brown. I'll have to go do some imagining.

Found some photos of the new rear shocks today so here they are.

Still in box.

i1678831_NewRollaRearShocksinBoxshrunk.JPG

Out of Box.

i1678832_NewRollaRearShocksOutofBoxshrunk.JPG

Old Vs new.

i1678833_NewVsOldRearShocksshrunk.JPG

New shocks fitted. Top mounts.

i1678834_NewRearshocksTopMountsshrunk.JPG

i1678835_NewRearShocksTopMountshrunk.JPG

Bottom mount.

i1678836_NewRearShocksBottomMountshrunk.JPG

Here's some pic's of the central locking in the passenger door. The drivers door is obviously a mirror image which is why I only photographed the passenger door. There's no photos of the alarm for obvious security reasons.

i1685542_Centrallockingsolenoidmountpositionshrunk.JPG

i1685541_Centrallockingsolenoidshrunk.JPG

i1685544_Connectingrodtopshrunk.JPG

i1685543_Connectingrodbottomshrunk.JPG

Changing the locks has also been put in the too hard basket and I'm going to just get the door locks shaved when I get the respray.

/Flame suit on