Removing Door Trim

MarkSA

The back right window in my ae82 corolla doesn't wind up or down tith the windo winder thing, there is a big scratch out of the tinting, so i decided to take the door trim off to fix it.

i don't care if the window has to be permanently shut because it is currently about 5 centimetres open and i can pull it up but then it falls back down if i hit a bump or something.

Is there a way to remove the door trim so when it goes back on it will still be flush and wont look like it has been ripped off

( i have removed the screw in the door opener and 2 other screws in the door handle thing.) i think i have to take the window winder off aswell?

thanks, Mark

Members dont see this ad

you require a special tool to remove the window winder circlip, it slides behind the winder and pops it off, without damaging the trim.

if you are super careful with removing each of the back mounted clips on the door trim, you shouldnt have an issue, otherwise, you can get body clip removal tools, which slide right under the clips and pop them out without you having to hang off them.

In short, as long as you are careful you should be right, just don't rip tear bust

you require a special tool to remove the window winder circlip, it slides behind the winder and pops it off, without damaging the trim.

if you are super careful with removing each of the back mounted clips on the door trim, you shouldnt have an issue, otherwise, you can get body clip removal tools, which slide right under the clips and pop them out without you having to hang off them.

In short, as long as you are careful you should be right, just don't rip tear bust

Thanks

Where can I get the special tool that removes the window winder?

And how do I remove the back mounted clips?

I have 'the thingy' and its a fabulous bit of kit, but a tea towel will work on the window winder. Just grab it by the corners, pull it tight, and slip the tightly pulled side up under the winder and the clip will pop off.

As for the trim itself, just go easy on it, working from the bottom up. Use a butter knife on either side of each clip for a bit of leverage if you need it.

The back right window in my ae82 corolla doesn't wind up or down tith the windo winder thing, there is a big scratch out of the tinting,

Your going to find that the bracket thing that the window mounts onto will have rusted out letting the window pop out of the mount.

1 - You can either find a "new" one, if you can. All the ones that i found were either just as bad or worse......

2 - Live with it (what i did with one - wasn't too worried since people didn't know how to wind windows back up so i took the rear door winders off)

3 - Nick a mount from another car and bodgy it up - silastic works wonders

Lol, I use a flat head screw driver. Takes me a TINY bit longer, just depends how hard the little shit is to get off.

Door trims are generally easy to remove, Just look for contact points that are holding the door trim on, make sure all the screws plus the sirclip(clip behind window winder) is off, and should just pull off with a little force. Just becareful though, maybe double check everything? if you are new to mechanics.. I usually double check, just in case I stuff up a customers car =(

Hope it works for you buddy.