Home Made Rev-limiter For Carby Car

Taz_Rx

The limiter worked a treat! So good infact that another member wanted a couple made up for him and a mate lol.

Here's a pic of the 2 I made yesterday, which are exactly like the diagram I posted above.....except on the digram, pin 87a should be on 87 otherwise ya car won't start. ;) I should change the diagram oneday lol.

DSCF0183640x480.jpg

Here's a pic of the race car on Sunday. Got a 1st, two 2nds and a 5th or 6th...come last when it was raining haha....turns out the hoosiers are killer on the dryish stuff, but useless in the wet. ;)

DSCF0398.jpg

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If ya check out this vid ya can slightly hear it in a few spots. Mainly when the VH comes onto the straight which I'm filming on, some laps ya can hear the limiter going b4 he changes cogs.....but ya can't really hear it over the motors to well. ;)

And curious if this would work? http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Speco-Shift-Light-a...93%3A2|294%3A50

Rather not have a super dooper 10" tacho blocking my view

You'd have to find out if the shiftlight uses an LED or a globe. If it's a globe, good shit, but if it's an LED it won't work. You'd have to pull it apart too, to tap into the wires going to the globe.

EDIT: Just got an email back from Speco and apparently the 520-50 all use globes so ya should be fine! :y:

Edited by Danny

SO the KE has the "home made" limiter, and the Torana has something else Si? the rana sounds tuff haha

Nah mate, they're both using the same "home made" setup.

You'd have to find out if the shiftlight uses an LED or a globe. If it's a globe, good shit, but if it's an LED it won't work. You'd have to pull it apart too, to tap into the wires going to the globe.

Danny's onto it. :y: LED wouldn't pull enough amps to trigger the relay. I reckon those speco ones would be a globe as they look very similar to autometre ones, but don't quote me on it. See if you can't find a cheap speco tacho like in the dash of Tar. It has a built in adjustable shift light too.

Basically anything electrical in a car is 12v. The problem is not the voltage its the amps. Everybody is using LED for everything these days because of its 'low power consumption" which is basically the amps that it draws. If you were to wire up this limiter setup with an LED there simply would not be enough current running through the LED to actually trigger the relay.

I think the main sound difference would be the fact that I took those vids while free-revving and the commo is actually under load. The rolla sounded a bit different when you hit the limiter while actually driving it.

• 1 month later...

i know this is a few weeks old, but this is a nice idea you guys made up for the toyotas or for any cars, but after reading and trying to figure it out, whats the right way to wire this up? some people said to use the 87 instead of 87a and then the 30 for the ground or for the tach light ground, much help will be appreciated.