4 Speed To 5 Speed Conversion In A Ke70

fourwheeldemon

hey guys i just got off the toymods site n there is an arrogant prick on there so i8 thort i try here! ive got a ke70with a 4k with a worn out 4 speed! I'm currently undergoing a turbo conversion for it and i want to put the five speed in it but i dnt know what box it is or where i would get one from? if you could help that would be great as I'm relativly new to corollas so I'm trying to build my knowledge of them!

from pat

Members dont see this ad

2 gearboxes, K40 (4 speed) and K50 (5 speed). K50's came in some KE55's (I believe only in the XX model, but I could be wrong) and some KE70's. KE70 version is different to KE55 version, so I think you'll be wanting the KE70 version.

I've heard rumours that the K50 box isn't as strong as the K40 box though, but not sure how true.

You have a number of choices. If you're going to put out moderate horsepower, do as Fook and the guy on Toymods suggested, and find a K50 box from a KE70. Easy. If you're producing good/big horsepower, look for a T50 box (Celica) with a K bellhousing. Lite-ace perhaps?? I knew a place in Victoria that was importing them a few years ago, but haven't seen any since. With good/biggish horsepower you WILL have to change the diff as well. There's a couple of threads in here discussing putting TE71 (T18) diffs in KE70's.

I personally don't think K50 boxes are as strong as the 4 speed version.

Good Luck.

R

Edited by Redwarf

oh i forgot by "them" i mean the 5speed box! also r the ke70 5speeds a straight bolt up with the change over from the 4speed! , also to say that i need the stronger box what do i do? demuire mentioned that the k series houseing for t50 boxes are hard to come by! what should i do in this situation? also I'm no wizz in using forums so what do i do to tryn find those threads for diff conversions into a ke70?

sorry for all the troubles

from pat

Nor will you keep a 4K together with 200 ATW. That is about 275 at the fly, and if you can get that, I'd be very suspect of the Dyno. W55 Supra box, custom bellhousing, Hi-lux diff. Possible massage of trans tunnel to fit Supra box. You will not keep the standard drive train for more than ten minutes with that kind of HP. Call me a doubter, but I can't see you getting that out of a 4K either. 160hp + and they start playing dot to dot with the welsh plugs.

Felix, you're a bit of a guru with these turbo thingies, your thoughts? I would have thought 100-120 at the wheels a good achievable number in the real world....

Wreckers for gearboxes? Yellowpages are your friend.

Um, I'm not being to harsh am I? :doublebird:

Edited by Redwarf

Really? Possible. Probably quite achievable on short term big boost. I hear you can get big horsepower out of anything just before it goes bang! :doublebird:

I suppose the motorsport multiplication factor for turbos is 1.6. A top flight 4K will put down 100hp at the wheels, does it therefore go to reason that 160hp is achievable with a turbo? But then again, they multiply the capacity by that factor. I suppose logically that the HP would be effected the same way.

Standard drivetrain in Angela's car??

Edited by Redwarf