December 9, 200421 yr comment_25400 hey guys i just got off the toymods site n there is an arrogant prick on there so i8 thort i try here! ive got a ke70with a 4k with a worn out 4 speed! I'm currently undergoing a turbo conversion for it and i want to put the five speed in it but i dnt know what box it is or where i would get one from? if you could help that would be great as I'm relativly new to corollas so I'm trying to build my knowledge of them! from pat Report
December 10, 200421 yr comment_25401 Gday Pat. A couple of quick questions before an answer, what sort of conversion are you doing? I know it's a turbo conversion, but is it still the 4K, or are you putting another engine in? Cheers R Report
December 10, 200421 yr Author comment_25421 oh sorry man i forgot that... I'm plannin a 4k with dished pistons, fully ported head, custom manifold, 350 holley , a bp 1.8l familia turbo... from pat Report
December 10, 200421 yr comment_25424 2 gearboxes, K40 (4 speed) and K50 (5 speed). K50's came in some KE55's (I believe only in the XX model, but I could be wrong) and some KE70's. KE70 version is different to KE55 version, so I think you'll be wanting the KE70 version. I've heard rumours that the K50 box isn't as strong as the K40 box though, but not sure how true. Report
December 10, 200421 yr comment_25427 You have a number of choices. If you're going to put out moderate horsepower, do as Fook and the guy on Toymods suggested, and find a K50 box from a KE70. Easy. If you're producing good/big horsepower, look for a T50 box (Celica) with a K bellhousing. Lite-ace perhaps?? I knew a place in Victoria that was importing them a few years ago, but haven't seen any since. With good/biggish horsepower you WILL have to change the diff as well. There's a couple of threads in here discussing putting TE71 (T18) diffs in KE70's. I personally don't think K50 boxes are as strong as the 4 speed version. Good Luck. R Edited December 10, 200421 yr by Redwarf Report
December 10, 200421 yr comment_25432 K bellhousings for T50 boxes are rare as rocking horse shit. Jamie was looking for one of these for AGES, I believe he's given up now... Report
December 10, 200421 yr comment_25436 Toyawreck (?) in Bayswater in Melbourne used to bring them in. They couldn't give them away at one point..... Report
December 10, 200421 yr comment_25443 apparently custom bellhousings arent as expensive as youd expect.... Try very hard to find a T50 bellhousing. I think your gonna make mince meat out of K50s. Report
December 13, 200421 yr Author comment_25541 hey guys u have been good help, jus another question, so should i go for the 4 speed or the 5 speed? I'm hoping for bit over 200hp at the wheels for now...! also does anyone have the phone no. of a wrecking yard that would stock them? from pat Report
December 13, 200421 yr Author comment_25545 oh i forgot by "them" i mean the 5speed box! also r the ke70 5speeds a straight bolt up with the change over from the 4speed! , also to say that i need the stronger box what do i do? demuire mentioned that the k series houseing for t50 boxes are hard to come by! what should i do in this situation? also I'm no wizz in using forums so what do i do to tryn find those threads for diff conversions into a ke70? sorry for all the troubles from pat Report
December 13, 200421 yr comment_25550 I have serious doubts if a K box would hold up to 200hp, even T boxes have trouble coping with that sort of power. Report
December 14, 200421 yr Author comment_25643 oh crap well what would be the next step! the mechanic said to go auto for strength or sum crap but i want the manual Report
December 14, 200421 yr comment_25646 Nor will you keep a 4K together with 200 ATW. That is about 275 at the fly, and if you can get that, I'd be very suspect of the Dyno. W55 Supra box, custom bellhousing, Hi-lux diff. Possible massage of trans tunnel to fit Supra box. You will not keep the standard drive train for more than ten minutes with that kind of HP. Call me a doubter, but I can't see you getting that out of a 4K either. 160hp + and they start playing dot to dot with the welsh plugs. Felix, you're a bit of a guru with these turbo thingies, your thoughts? I would have thought 100-120 at the wheels a good achievable number in the real world.... Wreckers for gearboxes? Yellowpages are your friend. Um, I'm not being to harsh am I? :doublebird: Edited December 14, 200421 yr by Redwarf Report
December 14, 200421 yr comment_25650 Really? Possible. Probably quite achievable on short term big boost. I hear you can get big horsepower out of anything just before it goes bang! :doublebird: I suppose the motorsport multiplication factor for turbos is 1.6. A top flight 4K will put down 100hp at the wheels, does it therefore go to reason that 160hp is achievable with a turbo? But then again, they multiply the capacity by that factor. I suppose logically that the HP would be effected the same way. Standard drivetrain in Angela's car?? Edited December 14, 200421 yr by Redwarf Report
December 14, 200421 yr comment_25654 Yes, apparently standard drivetrain in Angela's car, last time I heard. Report
Please sign in to comment
You will be able to leave a comment after signing in
Sign In Now