February 15, 200818 yr comment_228183 Hey guys, I feel really dumb. I can't figure out how the hell I'd go about draining my gearbox in my hardtop. I've gone under the car and seen what looks like the sump but there is no plug?? I've looked it up in my manuals and they are pretty much useless. It doesn't give you a diagrame of where I have to drain it. I could always just remove the tail-shaft and let it all leak out when I pull the engine out but I would make a mess on the driveway. Any help would be appreciated. thanks, Jon. Edited February 15, 200818 yr by JiP_01 Report
February 16, 200818 yr comment_228188 Yep I've come accross the same thing. Pretty much gotta undo the bolts at the front of the pan, get a really big oil catching device, and hope for the best! undoing the tailshaft would take too long. you'll probably will end up with some mess! But thats a holden gearbox for ya! Report
February 16, 200818 yr Author comment_228233 Thats SUPER GAY!! thanks for your help tho. I'll give it a go next time i'm in the mood to try again. Report
February 16, 200818 yr comment_228238 Thats SUPER GAY!! thanks for your help tho. I'll give it a go next time i'm in the mood to try again. undo 3 bolts in 1 back corner of the pan slowly loosen the next bolts 1/4 turn it will slowly start running out the corner, as the flow slows loosen some more , this is the cleanest way to drain. once it has drained remove pan an drain last, throw away oil pan and replace with one from a 1970-1979 Holden 6 as they have a drain plug. Report
February 16, 200818 yr comment_228247 replace with one from a 1970-1979 Holden 6 as they have a drain plug. learn something new everyday! Good to know! *Maybe one for the FAQ* Report
February 16, 200818 yr Author comment_228249 So whats that, Kingswoods, Premiers and Torana's?? Sorry, I don't usually mingle with Holden. Report
February 16, 200818 yr Author comment_228253 FAQ updated. Hope you don't mind Darren, I copied and pasted what you said. :'( Report
February 16, 200818 yr comment_228256 FAQ updated. Hope you don't mind Darren, I copied and pasted what you said. :'( From HG 1970 was the start of trimatic so Toranas, kingswoods, premiers, statesman should have drain plugs about 1979 was when the accountants worked out they could save the cost of a plug. All 6 cylinders and most 4.2 V8 ran trimatics. I have rebuild 4 ,6 & 8,trimatics they have a few extra plates for the V8's that will be a future project a wild 7k with Tricked V8 trimatic. Edited February 16, 200818 yr by KE30_KE35_KE55 Report
February 16, 200818 yr comment_228269 MINE HAS A DRAIN PLUG :'( - so i can't help I would think pre 1979 trimatics in rollas may have drain plugs the same as Holden's Report
February 16, 200818 yr comment_228273 Might check if the A40 from my ae71 has a drain plug, Wonder if my brother still has the CAIN TRIMATICS chrome sump. Report
February 16, 200818 yr Author comment_228293 I might check the box that I got out of the red hardtop. It was a 79 model. Report
February 16, 200818 yr comment_228312 I might check the box that I got out of the red hardtop. It was a 79 model. Collect the magnets inside the pans a few extra in the pan will help trap any metal. Report
February 17, 200818 yr Author comment_228348 Both my spare early trimatics don't have drainage holes. Report
February 17, 200818 yr comment_228373 Both my spare early trimatics don't have drainage holes. yeah mines off a torana it was suggested when we had the box rebuilt last time i owned it sorry should have mentioned that Report
Please sign in to comment
You will be able to leave a comment after signing in
Sign In Now