Rear Lights Help Pls

corolln

Members dont see this ad
yeah thats it.. when i apply the pedal the right brake light doesnt work.. but the brake lights work find when the parking lights are off... so blubs are not the issue...

I guarantee 99.9999% that the bulb is stuffed. Replace it (they only cost 50 cents or whatever), and all should be sorted. I had the exact same problem with my 102 - when headlights were off, both brake lights came on normally. When the headlights were on, the tail-lights came on normally. But when I braked with the headlights on, the brake light wouldn't come on and the tail-light would go out. Turned out the elements in the bulb had stretched and shorted to each other, so you could have current running through either one of them fine, but if you had it through both then it would short out.

is the bulb base and/or the connector corroded at all?

it kinda sounds like that brake light is chasing an earth through the park light circuit

you can try the new bulb idea - along with that (if that doesn't work) what i did to jury rig it when i had this exact same problem (because the connector was corroded to shit) was wrap a piece wire around the base of the bulb twist it tight, plug the light into the hole and then unwrapped some tape around the earth/neg wires and hooked it up there.

passed rego for me anyway :P

Edited by xdave

sused it a bit more.. scrathed paint of so it has a better ground conection.. then had a closer look at the bulb and only one of the coils is lighting up and it is quite dull compaired to the other bulb..

does it sound like it just needs a new bulb??

cheers

By all means do the simple fix first!!!

Whack a new bulb in and let us know how you go.. (I was under the assumption you knew the bulbs were good)..