Weight

ke17 20v

no the original tare weight is what makes a conversion legal.

the normal process for 'legalising' your modified car is:

consult engineer

do mods

get engineers report

get new weighbridge certificate

get blue slip (not the full on blue slip, but the form is still blue and the mechanic needs a blue slip licence)

get brown slip

take to RTA and they use the brown slip to:

1. update their records so your registration renewal form will show the new engine number and new weight

2. print you a new rego sticker which will have a special line showing a number which references the copies of your engineers report that the RTA now have on file

basically you can't mod a car, get a report and then think everything is ok. in NSW you must let the RTA know and let them change their data they have on your car to make it legal.

Members dont see this ad

Ahh ok thanks for clearing that up. With my ke70 I had a SR20 engine and gearbox, aswell a hilux diff fitted. Took the car to get inspected, got my mod plate then roady then staight to transport depo to get it registered. All they did was come out and check the engine/vin numbers then got a copy of the mod plate papers and that was it.

This is probably a bit off-topic, but what engines are legal to drop into a KE10 in Qld atm? I'm looking at getting one and swapping all my gear into it but it's looking like that isn't going to work for me now..

CA18DET?

Ahh ok thanks for clearing that up. With my ke70 I had a SR20 engine and gearbox, aswell a hilux diff fitted. Took the car to get inspected, got my mod plate then roady then staight to transport depo to get it registered. All they did was come out and check the engine/vin numbers then got a copy of the mod plate papers and that was it.

This is probably a bit off-topic, but what engines are legal to drop into a KE10 in Qld atm? I'm looking at getting one and swapping all my gear into it but it's looking like that isn't going to work for me now..

CA18DET?

When I rang up, the RTA told me 720kg for a 2 door KE20 and 730kg for a 4 door, so 710 for a KE10 sounds about right. That works out to 2130cc NA, or 1775cc Turbo. I make the CA18DET to be 1809cc, so your car needs to be considered to weigh 723kg for it to be legal.

Cheers, Ian