New Suspension For My Te72

I've had a look at my suspension and I've decided i don't trust it...

I've thought about upgrading for awhile, and now that I can afford it I have no excuse not to. ae86 suspension is what I'm looking at cause it's a direct bolt on from what I understand and I'm planning on sticking with Toyota parts. what I want to ask you guys is whether it's worth the savings to get used components or to buy new ones from a manufacturer like Koni (I'll be installing it my self either way). any brand recommendations? I thought I'd post here before I grab the first deal I find.

any input is greatly appreciated

Members dont see this ad
I've had a look at my suspension and I've decided i don't trust it...

I've thought about upgrading for awhile, and now that I can afford it I have no excuse not to. ae86 suspension is what I'm looking at cause it's a direct bolt on from what I understand and I'm planning on sticking with Toyota parts. what I want to ask you guys is whether it's worth the savings to get used components or to buy new ones from a manufacturer like Koni (I'll be installing it my self either way). any brand recommendations? I thought I'd post here before I grab the first deal I find.

any input is greatly appreciated

If money isnt too much of a worry and you want a great setup,

Id say AE86 coilovers, with the tubes cut down to suit your favourite shocks. Approximately 6kg springs if you will be streeting the car. Some good aftermarket dampers from TRD, Tokico, Koni or splash right out and get some Bilsteins made just the way you want. Adjustable shocks are good if you wanna hit the track at some stage.

For the rear, run it a bit softer, Id say 3kg springs for street and grip driving, maybe 4 or 4.5 if you wanna drift it a little. If your running adjustable shock absorbers up front you might need the same here to balance it out so the car is a stable as possible.

Rear coilovers aren't really necessary as the rear end is pretty simple and effective as is. Ive heard of people using motorbike dampers and all kinds of things here. Coilovers here will generally need some reinforcement made to the floor above them for best safety and results.

Add some thicker swaybars, and an adjustable Panhard rod to correct the rear end as it goes lower, and add urethane bushings all over.

The other major aspect of handling would be having an LSD rear end which helps with controlling the car. There are plenty of oid Toyotas you can steal a diff from, but the ultimate would be a Jap AE86 rear end. It will have an LSD and disc brakes 9/10 times you find one, and buying onw whole does save an absolute shitload of time in the long run. Get the AE86 rear tailshaft section too while your at it. If your TE72 has a T series rear end (like AE86 but with drums) already the just buy a new LSD from TRD or Cusco, and slip her in...

damn that sounds sick

lack of funds is the only thing holding me back from starting on a setup like that right now. realistically i can't afford to spend more than 2 grand, and preferably I'm looking less than 1000 to start. an LSD is not a necessity for me right now, but it's definitely on my wish list. if I was trying to save money, all I'd want is to keep my current height and clearance except with a smoother ride... but having some stiffer gts suspension is to tempting. so as it is i think i'm going to get the complete suspension and some lowering springs online as soon as I've decided on brands, price range etc.

only reason I don't want to spend to much on suspension is cause I've yet to get my priorities figured out

thanks a lot

• 2 months later...

hey guys,

took awhile but I'm finally getting some struts and springs (decided against coilovers.)

I'm looking at KYB GR-2's or Koni adjustables, but i could use some advice on which springs to get.

I haven't bought springs before, which brands are good about choosing spring rates?

UPDATE: I ordered some megan ae86 lowering springs cause trd's are too hard to get

Edited by CanadianMedic

• 1 year later...