Tims Sr20de Ae70 Hardtop Project

simsey

I bought this coupe AE70 in November 2007 for just over a grand.

I have put a couple of pics up, keep in mind these are very old pics that I took in November '07 when I bought the car, and its not what it looks like at the moment. I'll get some fresh pics up soon.

I actually have two of these,

One of them ive been using as the donor car, which I have pinched a couple of panels and interior bits and peices from.

It sat in the garage for about 8 months after I bought it (not running) So I started to get serious about it in July and I've slowly been working away at the panels since then.

It's getting painted satin black, going for an old school rat rod sort of look. Then I'll have to get around to finishing hooking up the dash to the wiring loom, get the engine in and get it all running.

Hopefully be seeing the light at the end of the tunnel very soon!

post-6085-1214345330.jpg

post-6085-1214345364.jpg

Edited by simsey

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thanks bro, yeah these must be pretty rare. never seen this shape before.

well i havent made any plans yet, but ive got plenty of ideas.

hahaha! hell yeah.. if only i had the time and i was uuber rich.

imagine a blown 426 hemi in it lol.

but thinking seriously, I'm most likely going to go with a 4agze.

I spent a bit of spare time on it tonight.

I took everything out of the engine bay and removed most of the shitty, black spray can job paint off, just getting it prepared for the fresh coat of paint.

I'm going to swap the lowered suspension from my donor car into this over the weekend so ill chuck some pics up when its all done.

It has Monroe 4x4 Adventurer shocks with cut springs in the rear, and compressed springs in the front.

Here are some pics i just took tonight, there's also theres a pic there of the mags I'm putting on it.

post-6085-1214396291_thumb.jpg

post-6085-1214396328_thumb.jpg

post-6085-1214396359_thumb.jpg

post-6085-1214396378_thumb.jpg

post-6085-1214396446_thumb.jpg

post-6085-1214396501_thumb.jpg

post-6085-1214396530_thumb.jpg

post-6085-1214396570_thumb.jpg

post-6085-1214396944.jpg

post-6085-1214397368_thumb.jpg

Edited by simsey

well i got around to taking the lowered suspension out of my other ae70, but unfortunately had to stop because the stud patern on top of the shocks is slightly different to what it has to bolt up to on the ae70 that I'm using.... :S

i don't have spring compressors so, as soon as i get the chance to use some, i can swap the tops of them over to fit.

bummer bout the hold back i was looking forward to getting that in this weekend. oh well on the upside got most of the dash wiring sorted :P

some pics from this weekend

post-6085-1214736800_thumb.jpg

post-6085-1214736894_thumb.jpg

post-6085-1214736915_thumb.jpg

Edited by simsey

hey ah... i was just thinking about this 3a-u ive got for it..

anyone ever had one / driven one before?

tuned them up?

good or bad experiences with them?

I'm just considering :D:yes: whether or not its going to be an engine worthy of being worked.

Edited by simsey

heres some pics of the rear suspension setup ive just taken from my donor car and installed into the project.

post-6085-1215642061_thumb.jpg

bloody cut springs..

meh, it'll do for now. i'll start saving for some new rear springs, I'm getting new shocks and springs for the font anyway.

post-6085-1215642048_thumb.jpg

post-6085-1215642073_thumb.jpg

Edited by simsey

• 3 weeks later...

well.. havent updated this in a while, been too busy working on the car!

the panelbeating on the shell is 99.9% complete and its going to be painted the weekend of the 9th - 10th august!

I'm soo excited to see it finished :S

but i have a problem.. i bought satin black paint for it about 6 months ago, but now i'm kinda having second thoughts on colour.. :D

so does anybody have any ideas on paint? pics?

I'm thinking of doing a nice cherry red or maroon sort of colour in gloss ;)

ill upload some pics when i get the chance, or perhaps when the undercoat is on.. its not that pretty sitting in bare bog!

Edited by simsey

Good to see it's coming along nicely mate, I'd think twice on using satin black too. I'll dig up a couple pics of red AE70's for ya later if that's the direction you're leaning towards. I just bought myself one of these as a project too (currently ugly slanty front model but i will be using early panels and KE70 quad headlights instead), so happy it arrives here in Melbourne on Monday :bash:

Add me to msn if you use it, paul_stahlberg at hotmail.com

I'll try remember getting pics up 4 ya later, gotta go for now.

• 2 weeks later...

Update: Won't be undercoated this weekend now as the workshop I was going to be using is no longer available :eatlead:

SO.. I'll have more time to look at paint options over the next few days, and I'll do some panelbeating on the doors and front guards which I'd planned on painting at a later stage.. The painting booth should be available again in a couple of weeks.

I'm picking up my mags on Saturday too so I'll chuck them on and put some pics up tomorow.