Blinded's Ke70

bLinded_

Ahh okay, I guess you're very lucky that you got let off! I guess you could always pump your guards out a little bit more to cover the wheels to save ever getting done for that reason again :dance:

yeah, yeah, lol. Need to get the car back from the guys setting the carbs up properly first. Then I'll have them on...hopefully without any scrubbing issues. I've had my mates 16x8 watanabes on the rear before and they didnt foul on anything, but they were also a fairly positive offset (+30 I think) so should be interesting how mine go. With a light roll, they should be fine.

Anybody have any recommendations with tyres? I can't say I've ever looked into new tyres at all, and I guess my options are also pretty limited by the size of my wheels. Would a 205/50 should be a nice fit for an 8.5" rim? I don't want the super stretched look so I'm guessing that a 205 should sit pretty close to the edge of the rim? Any suggestions are welcome as I know sfa about tyres.

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think a 205mm tyre will be a good size on the 8.5" wheel, but I really think you'll need a 195. You would also need to flare your guards too. My rear ride height is roughly same as yours, if not probably 10mm lower, my guards are flared, I've got 185s and they still rub ( :dance: ).

I would recommend a flare of the guards and a 195 tyre.

Ahh damn! Yeah well, I was going to roll the inner lip but I guess while I'm at it I should just try and pump them out a little bit for some more room. Might look into getting some of those Bridgestone RE001s as from what I've been reading, they seem to be a pretty good tire in relation to grip/price ratio. And they come in a 195/50/15 so they do have the size I need.

Just out of interest Adam, did you flare your rear guards by hand (hammer and dolly) or the ol' pole between the wheel and guard? Seriously considering using the pole method if it works effectively :dance: Would be a crap load easier too.

Ahh damn! Yeah well, I was going to roll the inner lip but I guess while I'm at it I should just try and pump them out a little bit for some more room. Might look into getting some of those Bridgestone RE001s as from what I've been reading, they seem to be a pretty good tire in relation to grip/price ratio. And they come in a 195/50/15 so they do have the size I need.

Just out of interest Adam, did you flare your rear guards by hand (hammer and dolly) or the ol' pole between the wheel and guard? Seriously considering using the pole method if it works effectively :dance: Would be a crap load easier too.

I flared my guards with the pole. It didn't turn out too bad to be honest. It's not something you'd do on a overrated paint job though. The dents I have in my guards are from pliers. I just got sick of the guards cutting into my tyres. Instead of pliers, I would recommend using the hammer and hammering the sharp spots down.

Make sure you've got a strong pole, something with a diameter of 2" should do and not too long otherwise it'll start rubbing the ground. :P

Haha yeah lol. Sounds like it might be worth doing. Mainly because my paint job is far, far from perfect and it will be faster than doing it all by hand. Did any paint crack when you did yours? or did you use a heat gun or the likes to heat it before you rolled them? they seem to look pretty good in your photos, so I thought I'd just check if anything went wrong when you did them.

Yeah, my paint cracked a little bit. Mostly around the edges though. I used a heat gun, heated it as much as i could without wrecking the paint (pretty much till you can't touch it really). I'll try to dig some photos up for you. It's definitely quicker than using a guard roller and crack isn't 100% guaranteed to stay put with the roller as well.

Will try to find some pics of edges.

e70011fj7.jpg

img6751ws2.jpg

img6326vz4.jpg

With those, you can see that it doesn't have dents and some do. The last few are the ones before pliers went to work, that was all done with a pole, not too bad.

Edited by adam-__-

• 3 months later...

Well, it has been few and far between updates as usual, but I am expecting the car back from being tuned sometime next week. Hopefully it will be a good tune as the guy has had it for the last 6 weeks, but as long as it works well, I will be happy. :yes:

Gave up on searching for a front pair of rims to match the rears I had purchased so I sold the 8.5s to a friend to run on his 1600. Main reason was also because a full set of Hoshino Impul Pro-Mesh wheels came up for sale and at a price I was happy with. Specs are 15 x 7 -2 for the fronts and 15 x 7.5 +5 for the rear. I am happy with them but will be happier when I can fit them to the car.

impuls.jpg

I guess that's it for now. Will have videos up once the car is back in my hands :locked:

-Alex

Ta :yes:

From talking to the guy who is working on them, he said they are going pretty well now, and that the only problem is that one of the carbs needs the butterflies replaced as the original owner of the carbs had for some reason removed them and in doing so burred all the edges and basically not causing them to seal very well on the throats. This inturn is causing it to not return to idle as fast as it should when off the throttle. I am taking his word on it as he seems to know his shiz with DCOE/DHLA carbies. Used to rally a hot little 1600 with twin Webers etc. It's just a little bit annoying how the work is being done out of town as I can't go there myself and see it in person. I just don't want to get it back and it still drive like a pig (flat spotting etc). Will see how it goes when it is back in my hands. Anticipation is killing me :locked:

• 2 weeks later...

So last week I got the "good" idea to re-clean and polish up the lip of my rims. 5 days and about 15 hours later, I finally got them polished up and sprayed in clear. NEVER doing it again. Would much rather pay someone to do it properly than to go through it again. :D Pretty happy with how they came up though, not perfect by all means, but still cleaner than what they were.

Picture here

Talked to the tuner and he hopes the car will be ready this weekend....

• 2 weeks later...

Soooo.......

I FINALLY GOT THE CAR BACK!!! :) :cool: It is awesome, really happy with the tune. Sounds unreal too, feels good to be apart of the proper induction club :y:. Fuel economy seems surprisingly well too. 4th gear(100km/h) whole way home (110ish kms) and only used about 1/4 of a tank. Next to do is get a new gear box sorted. Mine absolutely knackered and is on its final legs. Bearing whine is louder than both the induction and exhaust note combined :y: So if anyone has one laying around (K-50) let me know!!

Would love to get it dynoed out of curiosity as I'd love to compare it with a 4AGE in performance. As it is now, it will pull from 40km/h in 4th and keep on going. Such a noticeable difference with the Dellortos and that compared to a stock 5k with a Weber.

Just need to sort the gearbox and I'll be nearly 100% happy with the car. :y: (Then I'll start on another project)

Alex out.

Edited by bLinded_

Ahh thanks for that info about the valves. I have rubber ones in 2 of them, but the other pair had the metal ones. When I decide to get tyres I'll get them swapped :y: I would have some videos up, but seriously, the gearbox is so bad. It is somewhat embarrassing driving with it the way it is :cool: Might put one up anyway soon. I was just about to go for a drive anyway :)