Diy Engine Dyno

Jason

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Was chatting to ben last night about this and decied to try out the eddy current idea. I'm going to be using to brake disk so even if it fails i can still go with the disk brake 8|

But After a real dummy up setup i managed to get the center core about 5mm away from the disk and the outer cores about 2 cm away. At about 50v unfilted dc i could feel a deffinate resistance in the rotor. Thats using two primary's around one core. I couldn't go up any higher because i could already smell the varnish cooking :)

I'm hopeing to have 4 of these 'double primary' cores. Two per disk. I'm not even coming close to drawing the max of 2400W from the wall. And i always got some huge 350v filter capacitors to help if I run out of volts :yak: I plan to run them anyway i just cbfed wiring them up. But this sucker is strong. I was pulling screw drivers towards the core when i was starting to approach 50v. Which is a 'good' sign because it showing I'm wasting a lot of enegery that could be used.

My big industrial variac on the left rated 3500W little 1800W rectifier (middle in vice) that manged to only get warm and the eletro.

I'm going to have to either reweld the tops of the core or clamp it together becuse the lamites were throwing themselves apart.

BTW if any one has old mircowaves they wont to donate give me a PM because I only have 3 cores (Y) and two primaries

post-303-1215563744_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jason

Just had another play with the caps hooked up. I got a bad feeling i may have already reached the saturation of the disk brake. I duno but i went for broke and cranked to about 100v with no noticeable increase in resistance.

This is aculty now looking promising again :)

I managed to get the central pole of the magnet withing 2mm of the disk and the outer poles about 1cm. The faster it spins the more resistance it has. I was only spinning it with my hand and once i was getting speed it was quite difficult to keep it there.

Also Need mircowaves

MMM that isnt varnish mate thats the smell of progress :)

Well any left over microwaves ill take as ummm need a new spot welder :yak:

Also might be hard but from past experimenting the cooler it is the better the braking effect. is there some way you can chill the disc? How big was the disc rotor just a small one or large?

Cam

Yeah i could get about 3X the braking power if i used an aluminum rotor for the same magnetic strength, 6X if i used a copper alloy. Aluminum has at least 3X the conductively than run of the mill cast irons. But before anything i need a motor to do some testing :)

Edited by Jason

lol because we live in aus we get almost nothing in terms on nifty cool electronic stuff :yak: BUT i just order my free samples of the analog to digital converter chip and the load cell driver chips. Nothing beats getting stuff in the mail, except when its free :)

Edited by Jason

Free FTW. I'd like to recieve anything in the mail at the moment... Got stuff from google and $360 worth of braided lines missing at the moment gah! I might start on the framework for the software tonight anyway so its out of the way when it comes to the nitty gritty.