Cut'n'shut Panhard Rod (for Ke70)

derill

On his KE70, The Panhard rod is 40mm away from being horizontal on a flat level surface.

thats the bit that explains sch a small amount of deflection, I'm gonna go get a level and climb under the car, 40 mm is just ridiculously close to flat, I'm sure mines not that close to horizontal, and it is pretty low

Members dont see this ad

ok, so i went outside and discovered two things.

its oddly cold when wearing stubbies and a shirt out there at the moment.

and

my panhard, from floor of garage to centre of bolt, was 305 on diff side, and 325 on chassis side.

which means, ive been spending too much time under patrols and not corollas, and i can understand why the deflection is minimal.

the car is stripped at the moment, but its still sitting just above top of tyres, so i think with a standard weight in it, the panhard would sit pretty well dead flat.

which is cool, so time to get my offsets modified and an adjustable panhard to centre my diff :P

cheers, andrew

Edited by love ke70

its interesting i found this topic

before i got my cheapo whiteline adjustable panhard rod, i was very scepticle of how much the diff actually moved....and if my $120 or so was going to go to waste...

i had some 14x8" 0 offset wheels on the rear, and put the lowered springs in, and sure enough the passenger side scrubbed like crazy, but the drivers side wasnt anywhere near scrubbing.

now all the maths makes sense, and techincally it shouldnt move more than a few more, but my personal experience shows that it moves a whole lot more than 1mm.....you could actualyl see it was a lot different. although this is all relative to the rear guards...who sais they are the same on each side...

unless of course like someone suggested, the diff is not in the centre from factory....which i guess could be right?

they set up the front end with positive camber, so wouldn't surprise me if it wasn't in the middle?

one thing i did notice, with my car at its current height, the panhard rod is essentially horizontal (can kinda see the height in the pic in my signature thing, its about 120mm high at the jacking sills)

so id go as far as to say that in this configuration the movement of the diff would be almost negligable, the stiffish springs also help.

i agree that once they are lowered the movement is negligible, virtually negating the need for a watts link, hey ben :P

but remember how high these things were from factory, i don't think a 3-4" drop would be all the difficult to attain from a factory height, which is why you need the adjustable bar.

thats my theory anyway

i agree that once they are lowered the movement is negligible, virtually negating the need for a watts link, hey ben :P

Ahh but the advantage of a watts link is that if you build it correctly you can use it to adjust the rear roll center :cool:

• 2 weeks later...