I Just Got A Free Corolla!

ponk

G'day all

I scored a free ke55 today! what a wonderful machine it is, and hey, you can't get better value than free! This is my first corolla, i've been looking around for one for a while, and when this one came up as FREE i jumped on it. So far it has cost me a train ride over to alberton to pick it up, and a favour from a friend to borrow an old battery to get it started.

Good stuff:

- 4kc 1.2L sedan, manual

- Odo says 315,000 kms

- starts and runs first time, even in this cold weather

- Even has the original owners handbook, logbook and service book! Naturally, it has had a pre-sale inspection, and nothing more ever logged

- All lights, horn, and the radio works perfectly

- no knocks!

- no engine leaks

- no metal cornflakes in the oil

- no clouds in the radiator

- no smoke or soot, not even on the first start

- drives straight as an arrow

- even came with floor mats and seat covers!

- and tyres in good condition

- WAS FREE

Stuff that needs super urgent attention:

- fuel line cracked and spitting fuel

- radiator hose LOOKS fine however when i touched it, it began to crumble

- has terminal car cancer in most of the panels, and the front quarter panels even have moss growing in them? about to get under it to look at the chassis to see if it's salvagable or just a complete wreck

- BRAKES NEED BLEEDING

Other things:

- all the vac hoses are looped around the exhaust headers??? will need to replace most of these as they all look ancient

- there's a little piece of rubber hose sticking straight up out of the cam cover that goes straight to the atmosphere? what's this??

- desperate need of a service, needs all filters done, oil looks like vegemite

- hardly any clutch left

- gearbox is ultra noisy but working well enough to get around (ie. no frashing), looks like it might have a small leak as well

- exhaust has a hole (holes?) in it

- steering very loose

- head is tapping a bit

- anything plastic is crumbling away, most of the plastic electrical connectors are only staying together due to a complex caulk compound of fuel and dust and some other supernatural force which disintegrates with nothing more than a stern glance

- every bloody screw is rusted over to form surfaces inpenetrable to any screwdriver

- there are no bolts in the car, just rusty spots that resemble bolt heads that have long sinced mutated into car body as one

- speedo feels like it's 10km too low, either that or everyone on port road is speeding (most likely)

- driver's seat has completely collapsed except for what feels like a spring sticking straight into my CROTCH

- driver's side window fell down into the door when i started winding it down and i can't get it back out

- COMPLETELY FILTHY

- interior looks and feels like a whole family have decided to wok-toss a years worth of stir-fries in it

Pics to come! will try to get some during the day, have only been able to snap some night shots today. Have started popping some bits out to clean up as well and looking for any evidence of chassis rust

What fuel should I be using in it? Does the 4kc need a special additive, and what do you guys recommend? I've also tried googling around for service guides, or at the very least, a list of part numbers for the oil/fuel/air filters, but can't seem to find anything - can I just go into Generic Car Shop and pick up all the bits I need to give it a service? What brake fluid and coolant would be in it, and should I use thicker oil in it at this stage of its life like 40w50, or go with something lighter?

I can't do some other the trickier stuff like the clutch or the gearbox seal, and I dare not play around with steering or suspension components due to the obvious dangers that can create. As I'm seriously strapped for cash right now, can anyone recommend a good backyarder willing to give me a hand with servicing the steering, suspension, clutch and seals in exchange for cold beverages?

Members dont see this ad

Welcome to rolla club.

:)

I see you are exited by the amount you just wrote, as would anyone who just got a ROLLA FOR FREE!!!!!!

:hmm:

You lucky Bum (Y)

I hope she's not too rusty and all. and you don't get defected or anything. :(

I can't help with most of what you asked, because i have just as much clue as you. But have a look in all of the previous forums coz I'm sure there would be stuff in there about all of what you asked.

Hope to see some pics up soon

Cheers

Doug

PS. as you can all probly figure out i just found all the other emotions HE HE HE :(

Welcome to rolla club.

Thanks! I started pulling it apart tonight, here's some pics!

2673786975_de3b30e0df.jpg

in the driveway. i went to clean the compliance plate and it fell straight off in my hand, the rivets had oxidized completely

2673786981_bd8888238a.jpg

SPEED HOLES

2673787001_0767feb881.jpg

2673803887_69f7690c4b.jpg

more speed holes in the rear passenger

2673787011_d4860c3bbb.jpg

2673803897_23134f22e6.jpg

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa rear drivers side

2673787019_2f598efc93.jpg

there was moss growing in this hole in the drivers side front quarter

2673787025_dd2e40aacc.jpg

fuel leak

2673803877_09007432f2.jpg

this is the little piece of hose i was talking about earlier. looks like it's there to vent crank gas and also spit oil everywhere?? shouldn't be venting to atmo - what the hell is this thing for?

2673803881_62eaf3224e.jpg

interior is totally slick

2673803905_c0252aeb1c.jpg

diff seals gone

2673803917_5db4dcfdb2.jpg

gearbox seal gone too, also some crazy spiderweb cruft dangling from the speedo cable

doesn't look like any rust at all on the rails! now to fix the fuel lines and brakes and start work on the body rust. for the front quarter panels i was hoping to just grab two unrusty ones from a wrecker somewhere, doesn't matter if they're dinged up, i can hammer them straight

what do you guys think? any tips?

2673803877_09007432f2.jpg

this is the little piece of hose i was talking about earlier. looks like it's there to vent crank gas and also spit oil everywhere?? shouldn't be venting to atmo - what the hell is this thing for?

that piece of hose was connected to the stock air cleaner, and yes its to vent the gas build up in the crank case :).

my suggestion is to head over to super cheap or the like and buy a oil beather or you could got back to the stock air cleaner setup

Edited by MYSTIK

hey mate, welcome to rollaclub.

but yes you have provided pictures as to why it was free:p

i have a clutch plate here for ya. not a complete setup but the plate has plenty of meat on it.

Run it on straight unleaded, K engines had hardend valve seats from the factory. thats what they do to old cars these days to get them to run on unleaded as they suffer from valve seat ressesion if they don't run the valve saver r have hardened valve seats. so go ahead and run on straight ULP no additives.

the hose on the rocker cover is for emissions, but wont really do any harm, just grab one of the oil breather filters from places like repo etc.

the speedo feels like it 10kmh too slow and all the other cars are over taking??...WELCOME TO THE JOYS OF OWNING A K ENGINED CAR.

Are ya free this week som time, i might come and check it out, IF ITS SAFE lol. give ya a hand with some stuff.

CHEERS

Ryan

Hey, nice find. I myself just bought home the exact same model last night. Looks to be in the same condition, tho mine costed $50. Although its a good start you might want to considder looking for another and stripping this one for parts.

As for the oil I use Penrite. That link will tell you what oils to use and how much for the engine, gearbox and diff.

Does it have a 4 or 5 Speed??

Also since it has rusted guards you might want to check the vents in front of the windscreen. Assuming this car was sitting outside and was under a tree, the vents fill up with leaves and then rust out the tunnel causing water to come into the cabin.

that piece of hose was connected to the stock air cleaner, and yes its to vent the gas build up in the crank case :).

my suggestion is to head over to super cheap or the like and buy a oil beather or you could got back to the stock air cleaner setup

Sweet, will pick one up when I get fuel lines, thanks!

hey mate, welcome to rollaclub.

but yes you have provided pictures as to why it was free:p

i have a clutch plate here for ya. not a complete setup but the plate has plenty of meat on it.

Run it on straight unleaded, K engines had hardend valve seats from the factory. thats what they do to old cars these days to get them to run on unleaded as they suffer from valve seat ressesion if they don't run the valve saver r have hardened valve seats. so go ahead and run on straight ULP no additives.

the hose on the rocker cover is for emissions, but wont really do any harm, just grab one of the oil breather filters from places like repo etc.

the speedo feels like it 10kmh too slow and all the other cars are over taking??...WELCOME TO THE JOYS OF OWNING A K ENGINED CAR.

Are ya free this week som time, i might come and check it out, IF ITS SAFE lol. give ya a hand with some stuff.

CHEERS

Ryan

Cheers for the tips Ryan!

I'm not free this week and I noticed you're down south, i'm up in marden! i'm not driving it until I get a new fuel line, it's way too unsafe. Give me a week or two to get the hoses in order then we can go for a spin. that clutch sounds like a deal too, let me know how much you want for it. would you be keen to give me a hand to fit it and change the box oil in exchange for beers? I have no idea how to do it myself.

Hey, nice find. I myself just bought home the exact same model last night. Looks to be in the same condition, tho mine costed $50. Although its a good start you might want to considder looking for another and stripping this one for parts.

As for the oil I use Penrite. That link will tell you what oils to use and how much for the engine, gearbox and diff.

Does it have a 4 or 5 Speed??

Also since it has rusted guards you might want to check the vents in front of the windscreen. Assuming this car was sitting outside and was under a tree, the vents fill up with leaves and then rust out the tunnel causing water to come into the cabin.

Thanks for the oil guide! This gearbox is a 4 speed, the synchros feel ok, all the gears are SUPER noisy, sounds like bearings. I'm going to try to get the guards off while it's off the road and clean it all out inside, the bolts are rusted though.

The brake lines bleeder points have rusted. How can I get these open? is there some kind of rust dissolving thing i can put on there to get the nuts undone?

I want to see how cheap I can get this going, does anyone have any old stuff to donate? looking for:

- driver's seat that isn't a scrotal death trap (doesn't need to have good upholstery, just not have springs poking out into my balls!)

- some bricks to brick it up with!

- some screen door mesh

- LOTS OF BOG

- paint! any type or colour, i'm thinking it'll look good with dulux wash & wear in some kind of APRICOT

- might need a set of shocks, will test the rebound tonight :hmm:

The brake lines bleeder points have rusted. How can I get these open? is there some kind of rust dissolving thing i can put on there to get the nuts undone?

Yeah, get some WD40 or something similar.

Cheers for the tips Ryan!

I'm not free this week and I noticed you're down south, i'm up in marden! i'm not driving it until I get a new fuel line, it's way too unsafe. Give me a week or two to get the hoses in order then we can go for a spin. that clutch sounds like a deal too, let me know how much you want for it. would you be keen to give me a hand to fit it and change the box oil in exchange for beers? I have no idea how to do it myself.

I want to see how cheap I can get this going, does anyone have any old stuff to donate? looking for:

- driver's seat that isn't a scrotal death trap (doesn't need to have good upholstery, just not have springs poking out into my balls!)

- some bricks to brick it up with!

- some screen door mesh

- LOTS OF BOG

- paint! any type or colour, i'm thinking it'll look good with dulux wash & wear in some kind of APRICOT

- might need a set of shocks, will test the rebound tonight :yes:

Yea man can give ya a hand with the clutch and gearbox. got a decent set of sockets and spanners, if not let me no and i'll bring me tools with me.

um can i get those beers take away, on me P's so no drinky drinky then drivey drivey for me. 6 pack or somethin? dad'll hoe into em lol

As for the bleed nipples go down to a brake place and get a new set then get the old ones out with a pair of vice grips and WD40;)

PAINT, def help ya out with that, just grab some export brand spray paint:p

I got bricks how many u need?, will grab some when i bring my wagon back this week end. if the car is found to be a wreck, wanna buy my wagon?:dance:

got a dirt road near by?, we'll see if shes a real rolla:p

CHEERS

Ryan

yeah the hose on the rocker cover goes into the stock air filter normally.

post-4225-1216258183.jpg

btw 4kc = 1.3 L :dance:

gotta love that 4k powahh!

Hey bianca,

looks like you got right into that degreasing, lookin good

CHEERS

Ryan

hey my 1st corolla was this rusty looks worse than it is, good reason to learn about rust repair.

1x tin of fibre glass bog

1x tin plastic filler (normal bog)

1x bottle of rust converter

1x wire brush

1m chicken wire

1x can of primer

1x can of colour matching

20 or so sheets of sand paper ranging from coarse to fine