T18 Liftback, Needing Some Help

nate86

Hi, this is my first post so i will see how i go...

I have been given a T18 Liftback with a lot of spares

2705_1.JPG

The spares include

2 interiors

1x 2t

2x 3t

3x gearboxes

and a heap of other bits and pieces

The questions i have are....

Which motor to use 2t or 3t(or are they pretty much the same)?

I got info about using bits from both engines and making one?

I am also looking to to turbo or supercharging it, but want to keep the carby, which is going to give less headaches?

Looking also at a weber setup too?

What model is it? te72?? i have no idea? and what models are interchangable?

I have infomation on everything but the engine side of things, everything is kind of a blur at the moment.

I am looking at doing most of things myself, i have access to a good workshop, i am doing the painting, welding and assemblly. I want do as much as i can to learn for future projects ?(trying not to get a head of myself)

Any info will help me out

Members dont see this ad

hi nate , its a te72 the 2t is a 1.6 the 3t is a 1.8

When bored out to a maximum of 89mm and in combination with a 3T crankshaft, the 2T and 2TG will have a displacement of almost 2.0L. The 2T and 3T series use the same conrod dimensions, with the different pin heights on the pistons. Aftermarket pistons are available from very low (<7:1) through to very high (>13:1) compression ratios.

[edit] 3T-(C/U/EU/) (1.8L)

The 3T displaces 1770 cc and was produced from 1977 through 1985. Cylinder bore is 85 mm (3.35 in) and stroke is 78 mm (3.07 in).

The 3T OHV engines are mated to either of a T40 4 speed, T50 5 speed manual transmission, or an A40 3 speed, or A40D 4 speed automatic transmission.

Output ranges from 70-105 hp (52-78 kW) and 93-120 ft·lbf (126-162 N·m) between the California 3T-C and Japan-spec fuel injected 3T-EU.

Applications:[edit] 2T-G(R/U/EU)

A freshly rebult 2TG bottom end. This one has been bored out to 89mm and fitted with a 3T crankshaft, forged Wiseco pistons and forged Eagle connecting rods.The 2T-G, produced from 1970 through 1983, is a DOHC version. Output is 110-125 hp (82-93 kW) and 105-109 ft·lbf (142-147 N·m). Variants include the air-injected 2T-GR, Japan-spec 2T-GU, and fuel injected 2T-GEU. Twin sidedraft carburators were used in non-EFI versions.

The 2T-G was replaced by the 4A-GE in most applications.

Applications:

Toyota Corolla Levin E20 through E70 series

Toyota Celica A20 through A60 series

Toyota Carina A40 and A60 series

Like the 18RG (2.0L) the 2TG was considered the flagship engine of Toyota's 1600 class until it was superseded by the 4AGE in the 1980s. The 2TG is still a popular engine for conversions in to 'classic' Celicas and Corollas and are often suitable for classic and formula racing series.

All 2TG cylinder heads were cast by Yamaha, however, some are not marked as such.

Edited by dashills

Thanks guys.

The car is in a 1000 bits, when I got it. It had a 3t-gteu in it before but this has been taken out for my Dad's TA22 but now I have all these other parts to play with.

Firstly I am going to get it over the pits, with a working 2t engine and a 5 speed and the other parts i have lying around and then...

I will play around with what dashills said with 2t and 3t crank thingy, I got some info on this from somewhere. I am going to supercharge it with a weber setup, not to sure about if i will have a blow or draw though setup yet.

When I start it near christmas I will post on a few other things when they come and i am also post on how i am going