Ke30 Large Exhaust Manifold Leak

Matthew146

Hey Guys,

I have a 1976 corolla ke30 and ive been noticing a clicking noise and the car refuses to run at a low idle without a rich mixture. Eventually i tracked it down to an exhaust manifold gasket leak. I ordered the part to replace this and will do it tomorrow, but i was wondering what other symtoms/effects could come from this and if i should change anything else in the process? thanks guys!

-Matthew

Members dont see this ad

Which gasket have you ordered?

Highly recommend changing the flange gasket, hot box gasket (where inlet and ex mani bolt together) and manifold gasket all at once for piece of mind. Would be nothing worse than doing one of the 3, and then having to do one of the other 2 only weeks etc after.

Be careful doing the hotbox gasket though as the bolts have a tendancy to snap.

Also track yourself down a Permaseal EM30 1-piece manifold gasket. They last over 3 times longer than an ACL etc 2-piece. :)

The gasket i ordered was for Just the Exhaust manifold. I have aftermarket headers on the car and it appears that the gasket was installed incorrectly. (Was actually cut in a couple places). just another silly thing that has been done by the previous owner that I'm finding as i work on it. I should have it done by tomorrow and ill check back in with an update. thanks for the swift replies.

hot box gasket

what is the point of the inlet being botled to the headers apart form extra sturdyness?

so if you have custom inlet and stock headers you will have a leak? i didint realise this

Its to heat the inlet for cold starting/running

Yeah if you wanted to use a stock exhaust manifold with say a side draft inlet, you would have to make a steel plate to cover the hot box flange.

In the past I have had to cut up an exhaust gasket to suit a set of extractors (headers in USA speak). I was continuously blowing gaskets - shortest lasted 10 minutes - until I noticed that on some ports there was only a small amount being clamped.

Cut up the gasket and positioned it to suit each port and problem was solved :)

Alright guys. I'm finally back! Long story short on the way back from a show, My girlfriend hit a deer and ripped of the front of her car. soo.... i eventually we got back to my house.. and i got the gasket on. all went well and the gasket is working well so all is good :bash: just wish i could say the same of her car..

Alright guys. I'm finally back! Long story short on the way back from a show, My girlfriend hit a deer and ripped of the front of her car. soo.... i eventually we got back to my house.. and i got the gasket on. all went well and the gasket is working well so all is good :y: just wish i could say the same of her car..

Wow, hope she's ok. My girlfriend did the same thing in her Excel a few months ago, except it was a light pole. She wasn't hurt, and ended up upgrading to a Celica :( Not all bad things come from accidents :bash:

Yea with modern cars you hit anything and the area that gets hit pretty much shatters and ... yep thats what happened we are all alright thankfully. besides it could have been much worse. 80MPH + Deer = very very dangerous. just glad it didnt come through the windshield :bash:

damn thats gotta suck, what was she driveing?

and good you got your car fixed

She was driving a 2007 Toyota Yaris.

It ripped off the whole front left side from the back of the wheel up.

Funny thing was that we ended up driving it over 140 Miles back to the city where we live.

After a rigorous adjustment (tearing off parts and tying up others)

Should be fixed by weeks end though. just too bad it cost so many $$$ to do so... :/