Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

rollaclub.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Project: 1980 Te72 Liftback

Featured Replies

Well Here's my car again, with mod list and all.

 

toyota0011-1.jpg

 

Manufacture: Toyota

Model: Corolla

Model Year: 1980

Chassis Code: TE72

Engine Code: 3T-C

Engine Displacement: 1770cc

Transmission Code: T50

Body Type: 3-Door

Body Style: Liftback

 

Current Modifications:

Interior:

--Grant GT Steering Wheel

 

Exterior:

--None

 

Engine/Exhaust:

--Doug Thorley 4-2-1 Headers

--Custom 2.25” Cat and Back Exhaust

--Magnaflow Catalytic Converter

--Magnaflow Muffler

 

Suspension:

--Front – KYB Excel-G Inserts

--Rear – KYB GR-2 Shocks

--Front and Rear Spicer Springs

--Front Moog Endlinks

 

Wheels:

--14” x 6” Speedlite (?) Wheels

 

Tires:

--BFGoodrich Traction T/A HR 195/60R14

 

Parts to Order:

--Camshaft Bearings

--Main Bearings

--Conrod Bearings

--ARP Main Stud

--ARP Rod Bolts

--Valve Lifters

--Hardened Pushrods

--Toga High Volumn Oil Pump

--Water Pump

--New Radiator

--Carter 4070 Fuel pump

--Mechanical Fuel Pump block off plate

--Engine Gasket Kit

--Cometic Head Gasket

--EGR Plugs

--Valve Springs

--BRD exhaust port plugs

 

 

Parts on Hand:

--3TC Head

--Two Weber DCOE 45

--PJ Intake Manifold

--Baseline Gauge Cluster

--Rear Taillights

--AE86 Front Strut Assemblies

--AE86 Front Brakes

--3T-C Valve Cover

--Rare Parts Strut Rod Bushings

--TE72 Complete Front Stock Brake Set

--AE86 OEM Springs

--Felpro Valve Cover Gasket Kit

--Sachs Clutch Kit

--Prothane Rear Bush Set with Upper Links (courtesy of Aikane)

--Spare Distributer

--2 Corbeau Forza seats

--Front Hawk HPS brake pads

--Isky Racing Cam TH-77

--AE86 GT-S gauge cluster

--Ground Control Coilovers (400 lb springs)

--KYB AGX short stroke shocks

--TRD AE86 Rear Lowering Springs (Tentative)

--Advanced Strut Spacer

--Corner Signal Lights

--TRD Badge

--Topline OE Style Conrods

--ARP Head stud kit

--Toyota High Compression +1.5mm overbore pistons

--2 x Corbeau Forza Bucket seats

 

Parts on the way:

--none

 

 

Planned Modifications:

 

Interior:

--AE86 GT-S gauge cluster swap

--Interior Striped

--Rust Removal

--Autogage Tachometer

--Autogage Voltmeter/Oil Pressure Set

--Point Roll Cage

--Corbeau Forza Seats and slide rails

 

Exterior:

--Rear Wing (Style TBD)

--Front Lip

 

Engine/Exhaust:

--Weber DCOE 45

--Dual Sidedraft Intake Manifold

--EGR Removal and AIR Pump removal

--Electric Fuel Pump conversion.

--A/C removal

 

 

Suspension:

--Front – Front MR-2 KYB AGX Strut Inserts

--Rear – Rear Camaro KYB AGX Shocks

--Front Addco Sway Bar

--Rear Addco Sway Bar

 

Other pictures:

NewParts.jpg

--Doug Thorley 4-2-1 Headers

--Moog Strut Mounts

--KYB Excel-G Strut inserts

--KYB GR-2 Shocks

 

IMG_0070.jpg

--Weber DCOE 45 (152)

Edited by gryffinwings

Welcome aboard... looks like a decent project base you have there.

Don't expect those Excel-G strut inserts to last very long though... they're garbage :bash:

 

Are you in Cali? Where abouts exactly?

  • Author
Welcome aboard... looks like a decent project base you have there.

Don't expect those Excel-G strut inserts to last very long though... they're garbage :bash:

 

Are you in Cali? Where abouts exactly?

 

Yeah, well I needed something to replace the shot suspension, at the moment I'm not sure what I should use up front, the Excel-G inserts are the GR-2 equivalent, actually they are the same line from KYB, from what I saw on a website. Anyways I've been having trouble finding much else, that doesn't take a while to get, I wouldn't mind getting Tokico shocks, but I'm not sure the best place to get them is.

 

Anyways, I'm in the San Diego area. Anyways thanks for the welcome :(

Edited by gryffinwings

  • 9 months later...
  • Author

So I've started tearing apart my 1980 Corolla, so far it's going pretty good, not too much rust, but I do need replacement parts, the front valance that goes behind the bumper need replacing, since mine is bent out of shape. Anyways here's are pictures of what I've done so far.

 

Headlights, Grille, and Turn Signal lights removed

IMG_0009.jpg

IMG_0013-1.jpg

 

Bumper cover removed

IMG_0025.jpg

IMG_0026.jpg

 

What's left of my Battery shelf

IMG_0027.jpg

IMG_0028.jpg

 

Front Bumper completely removed

IMG_0029.jpg

IMG_0032-1.jpg

 

Radiator removed, still had brown crap in it even after trying to flush it.

IMG_0031.jpg

 

How she stands now.

IMG_0034-1.jpg

  • Author

And the dismantling continues

 

Condenser is out

IMG_0036-1.jpg]

 

Air Injection Pump is out:

IMG_0037-1.jpg

IMG_0038.jpg

 

AC Compressor is out:

IMG_0039.jpg

 

Starting get more progress done:

IMG_0040.jpg

 

AC Compressor on the left, AIR Injection pump on the right

IMG_0041-1.jpg

 

More AC crap:

IMG_0042.jpg

 

Left over Pulleys:

IMG_0044-1.jpg

  • Author

Parts that have come in:

 

Topline OE Conrods:

IMG_0056.jpg

 

More parts, Ground Control 7.1k, T3 Advanced Strut Tube Spacer, KYB AGX, MSD 6A :)

IMG_0057.jpg

IMG_0058.jpg

IMG_0059.jpg

IMG_0060.jpg

  • Author

More disassembly:

 

Old Carb and Dizzy out:

IMG_0061.jpg

 

Intake Manifold out:

IMG_0062.jpg

 

Intake, Carb, Dizzy:

IMG_0063.jpg

IMG_0064.jpg

IMG_0065.jpg

  • Author

Here are the pics with the engine out:

 

Empty and dirty engine bay

IMG_0066-1.jpg

 

Pics of the engine after some cleaning and it's still dirty:

IMG_0063-1.jpg

IMG_0064-1.jpg

IMG_0065-1.jpg

IMG_0068.jpg

 

Basically, I've got a lot of cleaning to do, and I have things to block off on the block it looks like, if anyone can point out some things that can be blocked off other than the obvious stuff like the:

1. Fuel pump for electric one

2. EGR ports below exhaust ports

3. The emission piece on the top left on the front of the engine.

  • Author

Making some good progress with the engine so far, head is off, found out that the EGR ports won't come off so I'm going to get them welded shut instead. Pushrods are good, lifters are actually surprisingly in good shape, so I will reuse them, I'll post pictures of those parts when I clean them up a bit. The only main issues I see are the valve cover and oil pan gaskets are really sticky, other than that everything is in good shape, I think I may change plans and just put new piston rings on, maybe new bearings, and milling the head and block a little to bump up compression instead of using the pistons I have, which I will probably use in a later build or sell. Anyways hear are pictures of the short block.

 

IMG_0094.jpg

IMG_0095.jpg

IMG_0096.jpg

IMG_0097.jpg

IMG_0098.jpg

 

Looks like the carbon build up indicates maybe to much fuel, so I'll have to clean those up when I pull out the rotating assembly when I get the short block hot tanked.

  • Author

More pictures, short block completely disassembled, except for some bearings.

 

IMG_0099.jpg

IMG_0100.jpg

IMG_0101.jpg

IMG_0102.jpg

 

Will be soaking some of the parts in Rotella oil to start cleaning them.

  • Author

Well here's the block all painted and fresh from the machine shop and the pretty shiny crank fresh from the machine shop.

 

IMG_0112.jpg

IMG_0114.jpg

IMG_0117.jpg

  • 3 years later...

Click on his name, Griffinwings, then read his profile, and it says..

 

 

 

 

gryffinwings

Member Since 10 Nov 2008

Offline Last Active 28 Aug 2009 09:28 AM

 

So maybe he got run down by a bus, or lost interest, or got married, or went to jail... but he has never come back so he is unlikely to answer your question. You coud try a PM if he hasn't changed his email address.

Ok.

well i have a 81 liftback as well .. was curious is it worth putting a 5th gen 3sge in there

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In Now

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.