Crispys Project. 1975 Ke35.

crispyke35

Hi all

The last few days i have started to make some serious progress with the new paint job.

also getting some plans thought up to put a 5k and 5speed box into the rolla ( this will happen when my budget allows it).

Any way here are some pics .

Rolla with all the paint scraped exept for dogey stone trays and the rear end.

post-7209-1233307688_thumb.jpg

A bare butt corolla after a good few hours with a angle grinder fitted with a wire brush.

post-7209-1233307956_thumb.jpg

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looking good :y:

your working pretty quick

Thanks,

Ive been spending some long hours on it between working and crap weather. I also have to go back to uni soon so that will slow things down. getting as much done now. although because it is the first time ive ever done such a project I'm still having to stop and think about how I'm going to do certian bits. have been talking to dad and a few other people tyring to get as much info as possible. so far it seems to be working.

Edited by crispyke35

dude i'm VERY impressed

glad this went to a good owner - i was so tempted to buy this when it was on ebay...

are the panels straight, or do you have to do some tidying up of dings etc?

looking forwards to following this buildup. any ideas of what engine package you're going?

please keep an eye on my project. it'd be good to get some feedback

KE35 4A conversion

dude i'm VERY impressed

glad this went to a good owner - i was so tempted to buy this when it was on ebay...

are the panels straight, or do you have to do some tidying up of dings etc?

looking forwards to following this buildup. any ideas of what engine package you're going?

please keep an eye on my project. it'd be good to get some feedback

KE35 4A conversion

Thanks mate I'm glad i was able to get it.

it actually went through the first time on ebay without any one bidding on it. didnt have the cash the first time round but when it came up again i got my mate who fortunately lived nere by to check it out . then someone offered more for it then me and i lost interest (after many months of searching you get use to it). but two days later the bloke who owned it rang up and told me i could have it for $650 (he knocked 50 bucks of what i offered for travelling so far) . took me eleven and a half hours to get there by train. picked it up at ten oclock at night and then put all my faith into it and drove the car 8 hours back home. so it was an epic adventure to get it.

if you saw how many problems were listed it would scare most people off. but since ive had it on the road nothing has gone wrong. the exhaust needed fixing but that was easy only a small piece missing so i replaced it with extractors. it was noisy though coming straight out of the manifold.

Q. are the panels straight, or do you have to do some tidying up of dings etc?

A.other then under those stone trays the car is almost perfect exept for one main dint in the drivers side guard. i should be able to fix it pretty easily though. the rust in the car is almost non existant which is a real plus. the only big problems that has caused some issues was removing the nearly 2mm thick paint that it had been resprayed with. but i have taken it back to either bare metal or orginal paint with a paint scraper and angle grinder.

Q.looking forwards to following this buildup. any ideas of what engine package you're going?

A. I'm actually lining up a 5k and a 5 speed as we speak. if i can afford it i will hopefully be purchasing soon. I'm still on my p plates so i can't go to nuts with the engine but this is about the biggest i can go without being suspect. I do like the note of the old school engines though plus one day i would love to put twin sidedraught solex carbies on it. keeping it simple for now.

Cheers i'll check out your project

G'day mate. Love the old coupes. Especially rust-free ones! :y:

Good luck with the project.

Just one question - Are those seatcovers or are they aftermarket or seats from something else? They look comfy!

Vinnie

Hi Vinnie

The seats i think are the original ones and where retrimed along with the rest of the interior. some of the black paint on the side of seats has worn of revealing the trade mark turd brown so quessing there original could be out of something else not sure. they are comfy but not as comfy as the seats of a N12 pulsar i owned.

Hi all

Quick update. Been doing heaps of work on the car and looking to the have body sprayed soon. Then i can put the panels back on as i complete them.

Also getting a new engine this week but wont be chucking it in straight away. Didn't get a 5k but got a 4K and 5speed instead. should be a good upgrade from the four speed anyway. also i wont get smashed by the cops for this.

Should be a few pic's up tomorrow.

Today was like christmas.

New engine purchased and back at home. Got a 4k and KE70 5speed + some spares.

Looking to have the new engine and gear box put in a couple weeks time. see how that goes only talk at moment.

Also heres a few pic's

Rolla Goodies. yah

post-7209-1233743057_thumb.jpg

This is where I'm up to with dent removel. did some boggin up to find all my lows. what you can see now is what should smooth it out after i sand it back. have become a friend of fibreglass bog me thinks.

post-7209-1233743328_thumb.jpg

Here are a few more picks of what the car was looking like after spending most of saturday working on it.

This is what it looked after alot of hours sanding and smoothing. still might being adding some polyester spray putty to make even a bit more smoother.

post-7209-1234051335_thumb.jpg

Some undercoat finally applied.

post-7209-1234051533_thumb.jpg

Started work on the otherside which is a whole lot straighter so should be much quicker.

post-7209-1234051623_thumb.jpg

Can't do to much on the car today. electric sander packed it in and run out of rust converter/primer. might do some tinkering with the new engine.

What do ya's think? got any tips on panel work.

Here are a few more picks of what the car was looking like after spending most of saturday working on it.

This is what it looked after alot of hours sanding and smoothing. still might being adding some polyester spray putty to make even a bit more smoother.

Some undercoat finally applied.

Started work on the otherside which is a whole lot straighter so should be much quicker.

Can't do to much on the car today. electric sander packed it in and run out of rust converter/primer. might do some tinkering with the new engine.

What do ya's think? got any tips on panel work.

Spray putty is only for scratches not dents , you will need to fill dents with fiberglass Body filler and sand off with a block board.

then undercoat sprat putty , just run a guide coat and sand off Flat by hand

Spray putty is only for scratches not dents , you will need to fill dents with fiberglass Body filler and sand off with a block board.

then undercoat sprat putty , just run a guide coat and sand off Flat by hand

Yeah sorry i probably wasn't that clear. some of the areas where i have used body filler and fibre glass bog have still got some bit's where air bubbles in the bog came out after sanding. The other thing it will sort out is some of my remaining highs and lows.

so need to fix them up with spray putty as you pointed out (plus get rid of small amounts of mapping ). also the polyester based stuff i have been recommended can be put over your primer undercoat rather then bare metal like most require. Thanks though for making sure that i wasn't about to fill my car up with spray putty.

Cheers Jacob