Bore'ing Out A 4k

trav_555

apparently he can't due to p'plate laws..

it doesnt make sence to me really.

darn it, buy an ae71 and put the flat front on it!

18mm little end isnt exactly a weak link, the weak link is the 4k for a performance build!

wouldnt the efi me classed as a modification?

why not just go a bit over sized with hi comp? wouldnt be so iffy with strengths.

Edited by tas_ae71

Members dont see this ad
  • Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i think I'm gonna go either twin carbys or single weber,

gonna get a second car, either ae71 or s13

thats enough performance mods for the 4k think, can't be bothered spending big bucks on it ne more

sussy and aesthetics, ie rims, tail, wing

thats good enough for first car i think, time to move to bigger guns after the ol keto

Yes boring out a 4k to 81-83mm is possible but the stress on the block is quite high, this why the 5k block( and also the 7k) has extra strengthening.

if you're going to put 4AGE pistons into it you'll need to work out what pistons you need, as the 4k con-rod has a 18mm pin, but most 4age's have the 20mm pin, early 4age's did have the 18mm pin, these are the weak link, you could bore the little end of the con-rod out to take the 20mm pin, but it could weaken the con-rod.

also if you're planning to screw good HP out of the engine, there is a good chance of splitting the bore or cracking the block.

if you want to enlarge the engine, put a 5k into it and re-number the block, or even better a 7k.

good luck.

why not use 4af in pretty sure they are 18mm.

ok Trav, let's face it.

the pigs are tightening the noose around p platers balls so they can't do anything to have any fun, or be tempted to drive beyond their capacity on public roads because too many of them think they're all that, and worry about making their car go faster, look faster, and sound louder, rather than

making it stop better handle better, and actually learning how to drive it well, and safely. *(and some crash because of this making the rest look bad)

in light of not being able to have fun on the road in any car... why not leave the ke70 with external mods to look good, drive it sedately and legally on

the road without fear of being pulled over by the cops and having your car defected or losing your license for doing dumb shit on the road.

(like we all have at some stage...)

and, with all the money you've saved from not doing pointless engine mods which are illegal, you could focus on a track car to let all your pent up enthusiasm out in a legal and safe environment. (like a silvia or something fast and turbo that makes whooshy noises...)

i've lost my license five or six times from doing dumb shit on the road, and had defects on all my cars multiple times.

only now am i getting sick of all the bullshit of reversing illegal mods every couple of months to clear a defect, and losing my license from getting enthusiastic on the road. (drifting, burnouts, speed etc)

the worst part of driving an illegally modded car is that if you hit somebody else (pedestrian), and there is an investigation into your car, and it is found to be ilegally modified, it therefore shouldn't be on the road, they will cancel your rego, and

YOU WILL BE LIABLE FOR MEDICAL BILLS FOR THE PEDESTRIAN FOR THE REST OF THEIR LIFE FROM INJURIES YOU CAUSE.

that is why there is insurance built into your rego somehow (slightly different in VIC)

I would be very interested to hear what anybody has to say in opposition to any of my comments, in PM or on this forum.

i'm not saying i'm right, just putting ideas out there.

-dave.

Edited by TE278U

have you ever thought about going 5k?

i havent read page 2,3,4

but it looks the same as 5k has more power than a 4k, same amount of strength as 4k.

your still never going to be able to drift a k motor.

4age with atleast 100kw at the rears is bare minimum to stay competitive.

Edited by D1doony

indeed ;)

yea, well i don't feel like finding another worked k engine

might as well leave the worked 4k in it and get a car that comes with a bigger engine stock :bash: and work it too

i mean my 4k goes bloody hard, alot harder than the stock old one

and i think a different carby will top it off and it will be set

well set for a daily/practice car

o and if i can hang go karts out sideways I'm sure i can hang a k engine with sussy mods out sideways on same track :y:

cheers for your help guys, my mind is set :bash:

haha i know, i think its whats keeping my 4k from unlocking its full potential, ive had it drifting in the dry, just the bodyroll lets it down

and that was on a private property ;)

sr20det when I'm off p's is going in this car, and i will start saving for an s13 daily me thinks :y: might as well go s13, i already have a keto so not much point in getting the same car, i prefer a variety

cheers

Travis

yea you can drift em, suspension mods are really all you need, with a great suspension setup I'm sure you could drift just about any engine

and skill, you also need to know about styles, angles, physics and basics, all the goods

but yea, can't wait for sussy gear, swear I'm gonna hit the track everytime i have cash ;)

get me on the track quicker, give me sussy stuff i want in my wanted thread :y:

cheers

Travis

i had a 4k that was bored out to a 5k, completlely balanced, shot peened rods, 11.5:1 compression, lightened flywheel, ported head, 304 deg cam and a 32/36 webber as well as 2 1/2inc exhaust and extractors. it made 56 rwkw's and it revved to 8 (as far i felt safe to rev it).

if i were you i would either biy 1) an ex sprint motor, or 2) just get high comp pistons and do more headwork

you can drift 4k's properly. its fun, but as soon as i got an e7 with a 4age, you know what rolla's are really about.

although the 4k sounded f@$kin cool.

don't get an s13. major disrespect points.